Trusted Contributor

Re: FRASER FANS: Was Maris ever on the show?

[ Edited ]

No. Nor was Norm's, often mentioned wife, on Cheers. 😁

However, the role of Hester Crane, Marty's late wife, and the Crane son's Mom, was cast.

Rita Wilson played Hester, in the episode, where Fraser began dating a woman, who was his Mom's dupe, but didn't see the the resemblance, at first. 

Late in the episode, all three Crane men, are watching old home movies, and, there's Rita, as Hester!

I remember reading, that she and Tom Hanks, were big Fraser fans, and she loved doing the episode.

Trusted Contributor

Her face was never seen, but there was one episode where she was in black at a distance with a big hat with her back to camera, and niles says, there's maris now.
Honored Contributor

Frasier is one of the best sitcoms.  I still watch the show on Hallmark after midnight.  Maris was always mentioned but never shown..  All the great sitcoms had excellent casting and Frasier certainly fit that bill.  Each character was important and made the show work!  Still funny and still worth watching!

Esteemed Contributor

This is a funny thread because my family and I had this very conversation last evening while watching the show. We always wanted to actually "see" the real woman, but I think it was brilliant for them not to reveal her appearance. I welcomed the suspense😊.

It's fun to imagine what she might have looked like, based on the many, comical descriptions of her.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I remember back in the day hearing if they did cast Maris it might have been Valerie Mahaffey. Apparently David Hyde Pierce had worked with her before. 

On Cheers Vera was never seen, but we heard her voice. Bernadette Birkett, George Wendt's (Norm's) then and current wife, played her.

And although Rita Wilson played Hector in flashbacks on Frasier, on Cheers we met Frasier's mom played by Nancy Marchand. 

I have my favorite episodes DVR'd and watch them once in a while! Frasier was so hilarious. Both had terrific ensemble casts. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I think one of the funniest Fraser episodes was when Niles was trying to iron his clothes at Frasier's place. He is a comedic wonder with his physicality. 

And I always laughed when he would wipe off his chair at the coffee shop. 

Wish that show could have kept going for many more years. It never lost its appeal for me and they always seemed to come up with new things to write about.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

I think one of the funniest Fraser episodes was when Niles was trying to iron his clothes at Frasier's place. He is a comedic wonder with his physicality. 

And I always laughed when he would wipe off his chair at the coffee shop. 

Wish that show could have kept going for many more years. It never lost its appeal for me and they always seemed to come up with new things to write about.

@World Traveler  That episode was the funniest I have ever seen. I couldn't stop laughing and I have  no sense of humor! I still watch the repeat shows now and they are just as funny.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Hmm .....   I was SURE that Maris made a brief moving-through-a-room scene at some point.   

I guess it was just a "gee, she was here a minute ago"  scene.

@Tinkrbl44  I thought the same thing. I saw that episode last night where Niles smuggles the newly fat Maris into Frasier's bedroom to hide her from Mel. I paid close attention. Nope -- even though I "remembered" a brief glimpse of her, she was never shown.

Respected Contributor

I could swear there was an episode where we see her briefly in a belted trench-coat, big brimmed hat and large sunglasses.

Honored Contributor

@Desi I vaguely remember that too! But you couldn't see her face. It was a very thin body. Almost positive you are correct.