Honored Contributor

Re: FLASH ALERT "THE FUGITIVE" WEE HOURS 2:00 A.M. EASTERN MeTV

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   What happened to The Fugitive at 2:00 am on Sundays?  I happened to be up a couple of Sundays ago at that hour (don't ask!) and tuned in to watch hunky Janssen and it was Thriller intead (a show I never liked)   When I see ads on MeTV since then for the lineup at that time, it's still Thriller listed in that time slot!  Where is The Fugitive? I see it is off the MeTV schedule (boohoo!) .  I wish it was on some station in a better timeslot - I'd definitely watch it.

Honored Contributor

I'm very bummed about it also, @Pearlee.  What a disappointment!  And it's not like it was the last season they were in, so I don't know why they pulled the plug in the middle--  baffling.

It could pop up again unexpectedly, we must keep our eyes peeled!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I'm very bummed about it also, @Pearlee.  What a disappointment!  And it's not like it was the last season they were in, so I don't know why they pulled the plug in the middle--  baffling.

It could pop up again unexpectedly, we must keep our eyes peeled!

@Oznell   About pulling it in the middle, sometimes it's because of a start of a new TV season with a new lineup.  Thanks for your response/thoughts.   I hope they put it back on -- and at a decent hour!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I vaguely remember my Dad watching it, and I enjoyed it.

Have tried to purchase the boxed set many times, but it never comes through.  ???  Pay, get notice it is on the way, then notice it won’t be shipping.

@mousiegirl   Could you please provide a source?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I vaguely remember my Dad watching it, and I enjoyed it.

Have tried to purchase the boxed set many times, but it never comes through.  ???  Pay, get notice it is on the way, then notice it won’t be shipping.

@mousiegirl   Could you please provide a source?

@Drythe   I've bought collections of seasons 1 and 2 (not an entire collection though covering all seasons) at Cracker Barrel.  I haven't been to one in years so I don't know if they still do - but they used to carry collections of old TV shows. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, Drythe that is too bad about your Dad not getting it.  I believe we ordered our complete DVD set from Amazon.

It's hilarious, I have the set to watch whenever I want, but I still was often following it once a week on MeTV when possible!  It's just more fun (to me) to watch an actual broadcast, where other people are experiencing it at the same time.  Weird, I know!

In my case, it was my mother who watched it.  I could tell she loved it when she talked about it-- I think it was on reruns, b/c  I think she was staying up very late to watch it.  She loved intelligent, sensitive types like David Janssen's "Dr. Richard Kimball",  just like I do, these many years later...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   @Drythe   I watched all the originals, including the very exciting 2-part ending.

I had a big crush on Janssen back then (still kinda do, although he's been dead since around 1980).  When I watch the repeats, I think to myself how it seems like only yesterday when I watched the originals each week, yet it looks like ancient history from the vehicles being driven and how young the as-yet undiscovered celebrity guest stars looked.

Just as an aside: when I watched The Verdict last week (which we discussed on another thread) I kept thinking how familiar the bishop looked and saw in the credits it was Ed Binns who was in a couple (at least) Fugitive episodes and I remember at least one Naked City he was in.

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, @Pearlee,  I love spotting those wonderful character players (who populated all the "Quinn Martin productions"-- "Fugitive, "The Invaders", "Cannon" and "The Streets of San Francisco").  They were kept very busy between episodic TV, and then movies of the time too...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   True enough. It reminds me of D/i/c/k Wolf and his stable of actors for all his Law and Order shows.   Even The Fugitive narrator got a show (Cannon, as you know).  

Speaking of Binns, he didn't age much over the years.  I thought he looked older than he was in the early shows like The Fugitive so he kinda always looked the same, even 20 yrs. later in The Verdict.  Kinda like Angela Lansbury always looking the same.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, he was one of those durable performers who seemed to be everywhere, for years!  I think of him as even being maybe in some "Perry Masons", perhaps.  So many of them cut their TV teeth on that show.

Reminds me that I read a nice story about how the producers of "Perry Mason" had a soft spot for radio actors (who perhaps by then weren't getting as many jobs as they used to), and the P.M. show hired as many of them as they could...