Honored Contributor

FLASH ALERT "THE BISHOP'S WIFE" SUNDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

The-Bishops-Wife-1947.jpg

6:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Bishop's Wife"   Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven, Monty Woolley, James Gleason, Gladys Cooper, Elsa Lanchester, Sara Haden, Karolyn Grimes, Regis Toomey

Just a quick reminder that this enduring classic is on tonight.  Cary Grant's enigmatic angel, Elsa Lanchester's smitten maid, and adorable little child actress Karolyn Grimes are my favorites. 

Honored Contributor

Re: FLASH ALERT "THE BISHOP'S WIFE" SUNDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell 

Thanks for this heads up.  I need to record this in case it's not shown closer to Christmas when I can watch.

One of my very favorites I never tire of!🎄

Esteemed Contributor

TCM will show it again on Christmas Eve, 8 pm (eastern.)

Respected Contributor

Thanks, @Oznell , I was just going to post that (though you do it better). It's one of my all time favorite movies.

Frequent Contributor

My all time favorite holiday movie.

Beautifully done with a beautiful message.  My favorite scene is when Dudley conducts the boys choir.  Brings tears to my eyes.

Christina

Respected Contributor

Great movie.  Have it on DVD, we watch it every year.

Esteemed Contributor

A favorite of mine for sure. Thanks @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Repeating myself, I know, but this one is my favorite Christmas movie (winning over It's a Wonderful Life by a whisker).

I've never erased a recording made several years ago of The Bishop's Wife.  If you've never seen it, take oznell's lead and watch it.  You will love it.

Valued Contributor

I think that's my favorite scene too @kristina1 . The boys choir sings "O Sing to God" so beautifully. I had never heard that song before until I saw "The Bishop's Wife" for the first time.

On a side note...I remember when Robert Osborne introduced this movie on TCM a few years ago. He said that Cary Grant was originally supposed to play the part of the bishop but then decided he wanted to play the part of the angel instead. I wonder how different the movie would have been if Cary Grant had played the bishop and David Niven had played the angel? I'm sure it would still have been a great movie.