Honored Contributor

FLASH ALERT: "GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT" GREGORY PECK THURSDAY 11:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 7.50.12 PM.png

11:15 p.m. Eastern TCM--  "Gentleman's Agreement" Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire, John Garfield, Celeste Holm, Anne Revere, June Havoc, Jane Wyatt, Sam Jaffe, Albert Dekker, Dean Stockwell

Sorry I didn't alert this earlier.  This classic makes a really fun late-night watch!   Gregory Peck is a writer who pretends to be Jewish in order to report on anti-Semitism.  His conventional fiancee, Dorothy McGuire, is made uneasy by the waves he's making, setting up tension in their previously placid relationship...

Gentlemans_Agreement_garfield_5.jpg

The two most interesting performances in this are by Celeste Holm, as the insightful, witty and wistful 'career woman' who secretly yearns for Peck ( and too bad he doesn't reciprocate!),  and John Garfield, as a somewhat embittered service member, in one of his typically dynamic, intelligent and explosive performances.

Combine this film with "Crossfire" which follows at 1:30 a.m. for a great double feature.  "Crossfire"s examination of anti-Semitism takes the form of a noir-ish murder mystery, with the three great Roberts--  Robert Mitchum, Robert Young, and Robert Ryan.

Edited to fix title!

Honored Contributor

Re: FLASH ALERT: "GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT" GREGORY PECK THURSDAY 11:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

OH! Oznell 

I tried to watch "Vacation From Marriage" today. Got about half way through watching the movie and had to start making dinner.

I know I will start to watch "Gentleman's Agreement" and about half way through I will fall asleep.

Guess I will watch the movie in pieces. After I finish "Vacation From Marriage".

Thanks for the head's up.

Honored Contributor

Re: FLASH ALERT: "GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT" GREGORY PECK THURSDAY 11:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Oh, @drizzellla ,  "Vacation from Marriage"--  that's a good one.  I think I've only seen it once--  I love Glynis Johns in anything.  And it has your favorite in it, Robert Donat.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, @drizzellla ,  "Vacation from Marriage"--  that's a good one.  I think I've only seen it once--  I love Glynis Johns in anything.  And it has your favorite in it, Robert Donat.

Yes, if Rober Donat is in the movie, I am watching.

Well I am going to get ready for "Gentleman's Agreement".

I caught a bit of the movie "Cause for Alarm" today. Another goody.

I am so glad that we can watch these old movies.

Honored Contributor

Excellent film and very poignant at this time.