Honored Contributor

FLASH ALERT "DESK SET" TRACY/HEPBURN SUNDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Desk Set"  Tracy, Hepburn, Joan Blondell, Gig Young

Aired over and over, but it's a classic of good writing and deft comedy.  Love Joan Blondell, temperamental "Emmy", Hepburn's apartment, and Tracy-- at his wry, subtle best in this!

Trusted Contributor

Re: FLASH ALERT "DESK SET" TRACY HEPBURN SUNDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN

For those checking local 10pm listings for where to find it to tune in, it’s on the TCM channel. 

A very delightful movie classic. Enjoy! 

Honored Contributor

Re: FLASH ALERT "DESK SET" SPENCER TRACY KATHARINE HEPBURN SUNDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN

Oh, thank you @gizmogal -- thought I had put it in title line.  Will attempt to edit it in now!

Honored Contributor

Re: FLASH ALERT "DESK SET" TRACY/HEPBURN SUNDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I have this on dvr. One of my favorite movies!
The dialogue in this movie is fabulous.
The scene on the rooftop.
The scene where he suddenly takes her hand and says softly “ I bet you write wonderful letters.”
The Mexican Avenue bus. 😂
The philodendron. 😂
And best of all, Tracy recounting their car ride with Smither’s family. The hot smelly shoes. The kid in the front seat with a lollipop. The kid in the back seat with a lollipop. 😂 FYI I read that Tracy ad libbed the drunk part at the end and Hepburn and Blondell cracking up was genuine.
This is one of those movies I never get tired of watching. I love it at Christmas time because it takes place near the holidays. It’s also a good movie when I am stressed, upset, or depressed. It cheers me up.
Can I also say I love the clothes, the dresses and Dina Merrill is stunningly beautiful.
This movie also reminds me how much I really love Joan Blondell and Gig Young. Poor Gig. What a sad tale of his life but what a wonderful but often underrated actor.
Honored Contributor

Wow, @bikerbabe, what a fabulous job of recounting all those great, great elements of the film!  And communicating your informed appreciation of the excellence it represents.   Yes! 

Trusted Contributor

I have always loved this movie.  Acting, sets, mood, portrayal of 1950’s corporate world, even the opening and closing credits.  

Of course, Tracy and Hepburn, Gig Young; Dina Merrill is gorgeous and Sue Randall is so cute (she’ll always be Miss Landers from Leave It to Beaver)  

And I love  Joan Blondell in this movie and others. (One of my favourites is “Cry Havoc”).   She had quite a career.  

And the characters of Smithers, Miss Warriner and the old lady who was from their original corporate logo all add so much fun. 

BTW, I memorized “Curfew Must Not Ring Tonight” in elementary school - I didn’t remember it being as long as “Bunny” says - it is not 80 stanzas. Only 10 - 6 lines each! 

Honored Contributor

One of the best of the Tracy Hepbun movies which I have seen and enjoyed so many times.  As other posters have pointed out, so many funny moments throughout the movie.  I love the NY atmosphere and Hepburn's apartment is absolutely delightful. When I first saw Desk Set so long ago, I fell in love with that apartment.  Desk Set is among my favorite Christmas movies along with Miracle on 34th St., Christmas Carol, White Christmas, Christmas in Conn. and many others.

In every Tracy and Hepburn movie I appreciate and feel the chemistry between them.  I know they had it off screen and it always came through for me in their films.  

Honored Contributor

@trenetand @spiderw --  love the way your specific responses to this film-- in all directions--  trigger my thoughts of what I like about it too.  Once again, you taking the trouble to comment like this on these movie threads is so enriching-- thanks!