Honored Contributor

FLASH ALERT-- MILWAUKEE ON C-SPAN

Right now, C-Span is doing one of their in-depth cities' tours, on one of my favorites, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.. This is one thing that C-Span doesn't disappoint with-- you get a real feel for the history and lore of a geographic area.

They just featured a fabulous lighthouse, maybe called "North Point" lighthouse?  You Wisconsinites would know.

I love that long drive north of the city-- so pretty, right against the lake.  Milwaukee was such a huge port for so long.

Anyway, I think it will continue on until 7:30 Eastern...

Honored Contributor

Re: FLASH ALERT-- MILWAUKEE ON C-SPAN

I've been to some of the northern suburbs which are very nice. Haven't seen much of the actual city so a video tour would be nice.
Honored Contributor

I lived in Milwaukee for a year after college. It has a lot of history, I was young and we loved going on the brewery tours.

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @AuntG and @RetRN,  It is a neat area.  I really came to appreciate it when my own college let me leave to go take a semester at Marquette to get some journalism courses in.

Loved the architecture of the campus, the way it was right in the heart of the bustling city.  The people were especially friendly.  And yes, those communities north of the city are just beautiful, leafy and charming...

Trusted Contributor

If anyone is interested....this morning, I was not able to find it on my Spectrum Guide to record but it is available on the C-SPAN website.   I have a cousin in Milwaukee so I am interested to watch. 

Respected Contributor

The lighthouse that I can think of was in Wind Point, south of Milwaukee.There are many beautiful areas in Wisconsin. We used to boat from Chicago to the marina & dock in Racine. Living along the lake is a uniquely wonderful experience.There are also numerous inland lakes that are gorgeous, and the flora and fauna are spectacular. Places like Cedarburg, Door County, Holy Hill, Oconomowoc, Port Washington, Lambeau Field in Green Bay, and the western part of the state with F L. Wright influence are worth investigating. Fall colors are intense there, but I found Upstate New York to be the most plentiful and colorful in the fall, and the frozen water falls up in the Adirondacks and near Lake Placid are sights that I'll cherish forever. America the beautiful.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily do people boat all the way from Chicago to Door County? I can't imagine how beautiful a trip like that would be.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG  I don't know, maybe they do. It's been decades. (Since then, we moved to New York and currently on the west coast.) We usually went from Chicago just past Kenosha, to Racine. Wisconsin is a wonderful vacation state and neighbor to Illinois. We drove to many places in WI and enjoyed them.

Honored Contributor

Hi Ladies,

I live about 30 minutes South of Milwaukee, and yes that probably was the Wind Point Lighthouse.....Milwaukee, Racine, and Kenosha have gorgeous lakefronts...Milwaukee has been getting a bad rap lately because of a lot of crime, but you are going to get that in any big city.It has a lot of plusses as well....

I will have to watch for the program, as sometimes you take your own town for granted! Driving time from Chicago to Door County would be roughly 4-5 hours, so not sure how long it would take in a boat!