Honored Contributor

FLASH ALERT: BARNABY JONES THURSDAY 4:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

If indeed you can have something quite so urgent as a "flash alert" when it comes to "Barnaby Jones", ha.

But for those of us so inclined, it's fun that MeTV is cranking up "Barnaby Jones" all over again, with Season 1 starting in the wee hours of Thursday.

4:00 a.m. Eastern--  "Requiem for a Son".   Buddy Ebsen, Lee Meriwether, William Conrad, Bradford Dillman

Personal tragedy brings Barnaby Jones (spry and canny Buddy Ebsen) out of retirement as a private detective to solve the most important case of his career. 

In this, he has the help of William Conrad, in one of those fun, cross-pollinated TV series loan-outs.  (I'm thinking William Conrad's "Cannon" character made at least one other appearance on "Barnaby", but not sure.)  Barnaby will have the efficient, good-natured assistance also of daughter-in-law Lee Meriwether throughout the series.

This is an excellent episode.  In fact, I'd say at least the first three seasons were good.  We have the entire series on DVD.  There's a significant drop-off in quality of scripts, in my opinion, in the last season for sure.  But if you like Seventies' private eye adventure, a good bet.  Watch for many interesting guest stars of the period, like in the second (or third?) episode that has William Shatner and Janice Rule as runaway lovers who assume new identities to hide their crime... 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: FLASH ALERT: BARNABY JONES THURSDAY 4:00 A.M. EASTERN METV

@Oznell  - I haven't seen Barnaby Jones in years.  The episode with William Shatner is on Friday at 4 AM.  May have to start recording it.  Thanks for the alert.

Trusted Contributor

Loved this program........we don't get MeTV    : (

Honored Contributor

Gosh I used to watch this show but can't remember a darn thing about it!
Honored Contributor

Since I haven't slept well for awhile and am often up very late, I watch MeTV and alternate with Frasier reruns.

I usually watch a Twi-Light Zone episode although I have seen them so many times over.  Alfred Hitchcock has a couple of shows after, love.  Then it is Mannix, Cannon , Matlock and Barnaby Jones!!!!!!   Matlock and the Fugitive are also a couple of faves  Of course I do not stay up all night every night but if I have trouble sleeping I put on MeTV and am guaranteed a good show!  By the way when these shows were on TV I watched them all, it's good to see them again.

Honored Contributor

Rats, @Irish1210 ,  they used to all stream free on youtube-- I know because I've watched them that way.

But just checked, and it seems that they still do, but are now broken into, like, 13 minute segments or something...

Not as convenient as just starting an hour long show and letting it run!  Before we got them on DVD,  if ever I had a bad cold or bug or something, I could collapse in bed and endlessly run "Barnaby" episodes on low on the computer. Very comforting and non-demanding background...

Honored Contributor

Oh, good point, @spiderw , and similar to what I said about being sick and putting it on.  You're right, that line-up is really good if you have insomnia too!

Honored Contributor

We own the series. Buddy Ebsen NEVER dances in this series. My fav episode is w/Wayne Rodgers,Stephanie whatever and Daniel Travanti (SP). Title is "Echo of a Murder".

Honored Contributor

Oh, I really like that one too, @Group 5 minus 1 ,  with the beautiful woodsy lake lodge setting, and Stefanie Powers playing a dual role.  Daniel Travanti is so poignant in it as the slightly mentally disabled employee...

Another one I like is "To Denise With Love and Murder",  in which Bill Bixby is a callous husband, cheating on his sensitive, heiress wife with a mistress who fatefully goes to the wife to get her to release him...  big mistake.

And there's one with Sharon Acker and Eric Braeden illicitly romantically involved, and her husband is murdered in the midst of a big, boisterous suburban party...  Eric Braeden is terrific as usual in that!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. That Denise one sounds like it would be a Columbo! 😀