Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  It wasn't my kind of movie but I thought she was wonderful. The looks on her face, her white face, were priceless. And given the material she had to work with, she was pretty darn good. Anyway, that's what I thought.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  So true. And remember drooling over Photoplay and Modern Screen? We loved our movie stars. Now? Well, they're just actors.

@Judaline

Oh, my, yes!  They were wonderful!  You said it perfectly ---- movie stars as opposed to just actors.  The leading ladies --- and men!  The women were so beautiful ---- they were poised, glamerous, classic!  The men ---- handsome, debonair, groomed so wonderfully!  I think of Cary Grant!  Oh, he was something!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

MILDRED PIERCE on mothers day.

2pm et  TCM......one of my all time favorite movies. if you have not seen it, make sure to watch it or set your dvr.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: FEUD - Davis & Crawford

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

I can't believe that Bette Davis thought she should have won an oscar for her role in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, considering the wonderful actresses and movies that were also nominated.

I'm not sure she really thought she should or would win for Jane, but can agree, she really should have won for All About Eve... Swanson's performance as Norma Desmond in Sunset Blvd. was showy and OTT and Judy Holiday was good in whatever it was, but to me, they just really weren't at that level. I'd guess with so many solid performances, the vote was split. I doubt that happens often these days.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

I can't believe that Bette Davis thought she should have won an oscar for her role in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, considering the wonderful actresses and movies that were also nominated.

I'm not sure she really thought she should or would win for Jane, but can agree, she really should have won for All About Eve... Swanson's performance as Norma Desmond in Sunset Blvd. was showy and OTT and Judy Holiday was good in whatever it was, but to me, they just really weren't at that level. I'd guess with so many solid performances, the vote was split. I doubt that happens often these days.

@stevieb  I watched an interview recently online in which she was adamant that she should have won for Baby Jane, which is why I posted.  I was watching several of Bette's and Joan's interviews so can't remember which one, but in more than one, Bette mentioned that she should have won for Baby Jane.

Yes, every one of the nominees were great actresses, and in my opinion better, in general, than Bette, though there are some films of hers that I enjoyed..  Bette was better when she was very young, and then later developed the very slow manner of speech, which she didn't have when young.  

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl It was a very solid field that year. My thoughts were that in her heart of hearts, who knows what she really thought, though she clearly put it out there that she should have won. She gave some exceptional performances when younger, but I have to think there was also an extraordinary performances turned in with All About Eve... I also loved her in the LIttle Foxes, among many other film roles. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After Charles and Diana, which I'm not sure I'll find all that compelling, it'll be interesting to see where they go. For me and maybe for others, they sort of started at the top, what with 'Old Hollywood' and true 'stars from the golden age'... It's going to be hard for them to keep topping themselves...