Honored Contributor

I read that Bette didn't want BD to marry or have children at a young age yet she married at age 16 and had a child when she was in her early 20's. Bette didn't have any children until she was 39. I read another interesting yet sad article about how many actresses back then were forced to have abortions. Studio heads had it written into many of their contracts that they were not to become pregnant because they wanted them to maintain a certain image. 

Respected Contributor

Joan Crawford and Betty Davis both had brilliant long running careers.  Bette Davis had 10 Oscar nominations and won twice.  Joan only won once for Mildred Pierce, but she definitely deserved the oscar for that role.  She was wonderful.   I am enjoying the series. Susan Sarandan and Jessica Lange, both very talented oscar winning actresses, are nailing their roles as Betty and Joan.  

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I read that Bette didn't want BD to marry or have children at a young age yet she married at age 16 and had a child when she was in her early 20's. Bette didn't have any children until she was 39. I read another interesting yet sad article about how many actresses back then were forced to have abortions. Studio heads had it written into many of their contracts that they were not to become pregnant because they wanted them to maintain a certain image. 

@colliemom4

bd is still married.... now over fifty years.

it sounds like bette and joan were more alike than they ever cared to admit.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Here is  Joan Crawford's will from 1976.  It shows how little the children received and all the stipulations receive anything at all.   Joan was a very vindictive hateful person and died  a bitter old lady.

https://www.joancrawfordbest.com/willtext.htm

here is a bit of information regarding bette davis will......

Bette Davis Estate Near $1 Million; 2 Daughters, Grandsons Left Out

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-11-07/news/mn-913_1_bette-davis-estate

Bette left all the money to her son Michael because she knew he would take care of Margot. BD would not. 

@PurpleBunny

just curious.......have you read that somewhere, that bd would not have cared for her sister?

actually she didnt leave all of her money to them.......half of the estate went to her assistant/companion.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@croemer wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

I'm really enjoying this series.

I love Lange and Sarandon.  Al Molina is wonderful too.

Was it true that Joan "confessed" to Hedda that she was broke? 

LOL...I wish you could have seen my face when she confessed that she was broke. I have read several books and in fact Joan had real financial problems when her husband passed.

Whoever is playing Hedda is doing a wonderful job...she cracks me up!

Hi, @croemer

I remember reading about Joan's money problems in "Mommie Dearest."   I don't know if Joan admitted that or it was well known at the time.

Judy Davis is playing Hedda.  She's terrific. 

I'm loving all her hats and bags.  Last night she had two giant hydrangeas plopped on her head.  LOL 

Oh @Bri36 those hydrangeas made me laugh out loud yet she totally pulled the look off . . . Smiley Happy  Judy Davis is my favorite in this series, she's just wonderful.

Honored Contributor

I'm really enjoying this show, it's really good. Great actors all around.

Respected Contributor

Bette and Joan were very much alike - two very strong and over-bearing women who fought the men who ran the studios.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe, those hats are a hoot!!!

Honored Contributor

@Bri36  The hats were her signature piece-they are what she was famous for. She was even in a movie or two because she was so famous. 

Honored Contributor

@culebra  I thought Jessica Lange was so good this week. Just wonderful. She is not a favorite of mine and I thought at first she was miscast but she is proving her worth. She has me believing she's Joan Crawford. Afterwards I have to kind of shake my head and come back to reality.