Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

It seemed to me the language fit the occasion and the era. 

What's funny to me is the cigarette smoking.   You never see that on TV now.

@Bri36

OMG .....  the excessive smoking!  All I could think was how the homes must have smelled of smoke ....   ugh.

....   and I'm really surprised that EVERYONE who lived in that era didn't die of lung cancer!   Yikes!

Come to think of it, that era was also before seat belts had been invented.    With any serious car accident, people were just thrown about like rag dolls!

My mother always told me the story of when she was in labor and the doctor came in and was checking her out and his hot cigarette ash fell on her bare belly in the hospital!

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

i may be one of the few, but i think the casting has been fantastic!

i am a big fan of joan crawford......havent seen much of what bette davis has done.

both of them have had fascinating lives.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Yes @PurpleBunny, I did notice the speech impediment.  Or, at the very least, her odd way of speaking.  In fact, I'm so taken with her poor portrayal, that I find myself kind of staring at her when she's on screen and not fully paying attention to the show because I'm engrossed in her oddities.  

Esteemed Contributor

Another good movie that Bette Davis was in that she acted kinda crazy in was "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte".......Olivia DeHaviland was also in it....

Respected Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

It seemed to me the language fit the occasion and the era. 

What's funny to me is the cigarette smoking.   You never see that on TV now.

@Bri36

OMG .....  the excessive smoking!  All I could think was how the homes must have smelled of smoke ....   ugh.

....   and I'm really surprised that EVERYONE who lived in that era didn't die of lung cancer!   Yikes!

Come to think of it, that era was also before seat belts had been invented.    With any serious car accident, people were just thrown about like rag dolls!

My mother always told me the story of when she was in labor and the doctor came in and was checking her out and his hot cigarette ash fell on her bare belly in the hospital!

I'm old enough to remember Walter Cronkite having a smoking cig on his desk while giving evening news. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Another good movie that Bette Davis was in that she acted kinda crazy in was "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte".......Olivia DeHaviland was also in it....

Very similar. They went looking for a similar vehicle to jump on the Baby Jane bandwagon. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

Part 2 sunday night

Honored Contributor

Finally watched it tonite-enjoyed it but neither looked anything like Bette or Joan. They could have chosen better, but it was entertaining. Loved hearing those songs-Mel Torme, Jack Jones, Sarah Vaughn. 

Two actors from Mad Men were in there somewhere-the guy married to Joan was the guy who married Betty in Mad Men after she and Don broke up(Jon Hamm) and their little girl Sally was the daughter tonite-I think portraying Joan Crawford's daughter. She's all grown up. 

Respected Contributor

I had to keep reminding myself who they were supposed to be portraying, because I kept forgetting!  Neither of them looked, sounded nor acted like Joan or Bette, IMO.

Respected Contributor

I watched the first episode but was a little bored.  I will try another and see if it grabs me.