Esteemed Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I enjoyed it, and I'll keep watching. But I kept seeing Susan and Jessica, not Bette and Joan. 

I don't think I am supposed to be, but I'm sympathetic to Joan ... Bette is a little too overtly nasty. Except of course for her dressing room compliment. 

Happily, I DVR'ed Baby Jane on TCM the other day, and I'm looking forward to watching it again after having seen this show. 

I couldn't agree more @PurpleBunny.  I don't think the make-up people did enough to change the actors' looks and it definitely feels as though I'm watching Susan and Jessica.  

I've been a huge Bette Davis fan all of my life.  I absolutely love her and the roles she's played in various movies.  Joan Crawford, not so much.  But I have to agree with you again about feeling somewhat sympathetic towards Joan -- Bette is just so mean.  I'm guessing it was probably pretty much like that in real life, too.  Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Faye Dunaway was brilliant as Joan Crawford.  It was almost too realistic.  LOL

Yeah, she did her better. Joan, never had a fat day in her life and Lange looked to big to be her and Joan's hair was never black either except maybe in 'Berserk' and I'm not real sure about that.

Bette was fatter as she got older like the rest of us, but, Sarandon was to thin.   Bette's daughter in the movie was a slim pretty gal the real BD not so much

Trusted Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I enjoyed it, and I'll keep watching. But I kept seeing Susan and Jessica, not Bette and Joan. 

I don't think I am supposed to be, but I'm sympathetic to Joan ... Bette is a little too overtly nasty. Except of course for her dressing room compliment. 

Happily, I DVR'ed Baby Jane on TCM the other day, and I'm looking forward to watching it again after having seen this show. 

Oh me too.  I shall have to look for "Baby Jane" and tape it.

Jamma

Trusted Contributor

@Carolm, thank you.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee, thank you.

Honored Contributor

I loved it.

Have never seen Baby jane or many JC or BD movies.

As for the language doesn't bother me, people used that type of language then and maybe now.  I prefer they used the words rather than bleep them out. 

I think SS is more like BD than Lange is like Crawford but the acting is where it counts. And I am loving those 60's sets and music 

Looking forward to the next ep

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

By the way....I've read that Marilyn Monroe had a fling with Joan. It may have been a one night stand. Anyone else annoyed by Joan's eyebrows last night? LOL. They just looked so weird.

I thought everything about Jessica Lange looked weird.  I don't feel that she looked all that much like Joan Crawford and I find her acting odd too.

I agree.

I don't care for SS but she did well as Bette. I thought JL was terrible. If I didn't know she was meant to be Joan Crawford, I could never have guessed.

I agree with both of you, @Citrine1 and @occasionalrain.

Jessica Lange's portrayal doesn't ring true at all. She doesn't have nearly enough of a big presence, so that makes watching it very disconcerting -  'who is that?'

I think it's a fabulous idea for a series, so will keep watching, but the casting of Joan is all wrong, wrong, wrong.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Re: FEUD - Davis & Crawford

[ Edited ]

@Bri36 wrote:

It seemed to me the language fit the occasion and the era. 

What's funny to me is the cigarette smoking.   You never see that on TV now.

@Bri36

OMG .....  the excessive smoking!  All I could think was how the homes must have smelled of smoke ....   ugh.

....   and I'm really surprised that EVERYONE who lived in that era didn't die of lung cancer!   Yikes!

Come to think of it, that era was also before seat belts had been invented.    With any serious car accident, people were just thrown about like rag dolls!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

It seemed to me the language fit the occasion and the era. 

What's funny to me is the cigarette smoking.   You never see that on TV now.

@Bri36

OMG .....  the excessive smoking!  All I could think was how the homes must have smoke ....   ugh.

....   and I'm really surprised that EVERYONE who lived in that era didn't die of lung cancer!   Yikes!

@Tinkrbl44  As I was watching "Bette" smoke, I thought to myself well she paid the price by getting emphysema.

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I couldn't agree more @PurpleBunny.  I don't think the make-up people did enough to change the actors' looks and it definitely feels as though I'm watching Susan and Jessica.  

I've been a huge Bette Davis fan all of my life.  I absolutely love her and the roles she's played in various movies.  Joan Crawford, not so much.  But I have to agree with you again about feeling somewhat sympathetic towards Joan -- Bette is just so mean.  I'm guessing it was probably pretty much like that in real life, too.  Woman Sad

Have you noticed a weird speech impediment with "Joan?"  Is that Jessica's quirk or is she putting it on as Joan. It's bizarre to me. I hadn't noticed with Jessica or Joan in the past. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )