Honored Contributor

FETV "BEFORE THEY WERE STARS" MARATHON" PERRY MASON SUNDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN

2:00 p.m. Eastern, Sunday, FETV--  Perry Mason "Before They Were Stars" Marathon.     Repeated at 8:00 p.m. Eastern.

Cool.  Any "Perry Mason" marathon is fun, but this is one that is a showcase for the young talents who appeared in the show when they were young(ish) up-and-comers.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the one with Redford, I know I've seen the Angie Dickinson one, and Adam West.  No matter--  I like the theme of this!

No matter also, that I've seen many episodes in general-- I still record and "hoard" many of the daily P.M. episodes that appear on both MeTV and FETV.  Have loved this since childhood.  There's something so soothing about the shows, and they were so well-crafted.  Goes without saying how good Raymond Burr, Barbara Hale, and adorable William Hopper were.

I like the little triumvirate of "Perry", "Paul" and "Della".  They worked so well together, and were friends besides.  There was always a hint of possible romance for Perry and efficient assistant Della, but it never materialized, beyond a warm regard on both sides.  I think!   Does anyone who has read the Erle Stanley Gardner novels know differently?

Love "Perry Mason" lore, and opinions on the show.  If you have any, do share.

Trusted Contributor

Re: FETV "BEFORE THEY WERE STARS" MARATHON" PERRY MASON SUNDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN

Just recently (early last year), Miss April was named Lady April Ashley.

Unknown.jpeg

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

Re: FETV "BEFORE THEY WERE STARS" MARATHON" PERRY MASON SUNDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN

I'd like to see this. I'll have to see whether I get this station on my cable.
Honored Contributor

Oh, I hope you do, @Pearlee .  It has some pretty good retro offerings.  But you seem to get quite a few vintage channels-  you must have a good package.

Respected Contributor

Darn!

I thought that was a typo, and that the marathon was going to be on MeTv lol.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

I watched Perry Mason when it aired and still do on MeTV.  It was well cast and always fun to see how Perry solved cases in court.  I didn't know the character Paul was Hedda Hopper's son until much later.  I think I used to feel bad that Burger never won a case!!!  It was a successful series for sure and still holds my interest years after.

On June 21 on HBO, a reboot of the Perry Mason series will air, I believe eight episodes.  I think it will be on at nine.  I am going to DVR it and see how it goes.  

Honored Contributor

@spiderw. I hope you realized that Hamilton Burger was Ham Burger. 🤣
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady,  at least you have the consolation of getting regular Perry Mason episodes on MeTV.  They keep rotating them-- sooner or later, the "before they were stars" episodes will show up-- it would just be a pain to keep checking the guide to find them!

Ha, ha, @Pearlee ,  re "Ham Burger"--  don't think I've ever thought of that!  

I don't really feel that sorry for Burger, @spiderw  ,  he seemed so smug most of the time. Although I've liked William Talman very much as a character actor in various film noirs...  As the legal "martinet" on the show, it's ironic that in real life, it was Talman who was arrested, during the series, I believe.  Can't remember the details I read, but I wonder how the producers handled that hot potato!

I wonder how hard it was for William Hopper to have the "stigma" in Hollywood of having Hedda Hopper for his mother.  She and powerful Louella Parsons were so dreaded.  But at least he seemed to have a pretty decent career--  "Paul Drake" was the perfect role for him.

Honored Contributor

Pearley, thanks for the laugh.  I didn't know his first name was Hamilton and Ham Burger would have been a definite nickname for him!!!!!  

Honored Contributor

Burger was smug as you said and he fit the part perfectly!  But for some reason I wanted him to win just once!!!!!  But that wouldn't have happened on Perry Mason .

Yes, having a gossip columnist for a mom must have been a challenge for Hopper.  I agree about Hedda and Louella being nasty and hurting people with their gossip.  

Thanks for the heads up though on the marathon.  So many stars were in these shows we watched and it is always fun to see them when they started out.