Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: FAVORITE OLD MOVIE SETS?

That "Manderley" bedroom is just a stunner of a room, @stevieb.

The big, angled-in window in the other elusive film,  hmmm.  There are several Forties' movies that feature windows like that, but I'm a bit vague as to which.  Of course, "Christmas in Connecticut" had that huge, angled in window, but I know you don't mean that one.

There's Bette Davis' huge, stylish apartment in "Deception".  It does have slanting (but not angled-in) windows, which must have been a high style rage during that period:

Deception 1946 038.jpg

In "Humoresque",  John Garfield's glam apartment that he moved to when he made it big, I thought had angled in windows.  But this is the only picture I could find of that apartment, and it's a terrible, "under construction" shot (the final apartment is so much better looking than that on screen!) and the windows don't particularly look angled-in.

Other less likely candidates might be Franchot Tone's modern apartment in "Phantom Lady",  or maybe Eve Arden's pad in "The Unfaithful".  But doubtful, since I don't think they had quite the right windows...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  That is exactly the kind of window of which I'm speaking... The film was likely from the late 50's or 60's, (in color) at least based on my recollection of it... I can't even recall who was in it or what it was about. I just know the main character was a man working out of his apartment and there were several women around, one of whom was an assistant and one probably a love interest... Seems like there were several others, both male and female, in and out of the apartment, where, as I recall, most of the movie's action took place... Just know the apartment stuck in my mind, primarily because of that enormous window... Go figure...

Woman Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Oznell  That is exactly the kind of window of which I'm speaking... The film was likely from the late 50's or 60's, (in color) at least based on my recollection of it... I can't even recall who was in it or what it was about. I just know the main character was a man working out of his apartment and there were several women around, one of whom was an assistant and one probably a love interest... Seems like there were several others, both male and female, in and out of the apartment, where, as I recall, most of the movie's action took place... Just know the apartment stuck in my mind, primarily because of that enormous window... Go figure...

Woman Very Happy

I don't know why this one came to mind but it did-didn't even like the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h23tjOu3pIA

Honored Contributor

Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...

Image result for manderley

Related image

Related image

Related image

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

You are sharp, @Judaline,  the set in Hitchcock's "Rope" does have that huge, prominent window feeling in the apartment.  That was a great set too, even if 'uneasy' plot.

Those are super stills, @stevieb.  You can really see the fine hand of producer David O. Selznick in the art direction of "Rebecca".  He only hired the best, and it all showed up on screen.

Honored Contributor

I guess when all is said and done, there's nothing that can compare to or compete with Manderley. At least nothing I've seen in my lifetime! When someone says, 'yeah, in your dreams', I think of Manderley.