Trusted Contributor

Re: FAVORITE OLD MOVIE SETS?

I mmediately thought of "Leave her to Heaven" as that home is so beautifully done and the coloring just so pretty.  I love watching that.  
Mr. Hobbs takes a vacation is another favorite, love to stay in that beach house!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

You're turning minimalist, aren't you?

I'm finding myself attracted to mid-century modern.  But your question makes me think of the apartments in Hitchcock's Vertigo.

Scottie's San Francisco apartment:

Vertigo

Vertigo

Vertigo

Midge's San Francisco apartment:

Vertigo

I do like a view.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Oznell !

What Lies Beneath is a great example of settings which enhanced the movie and its plot.  That is another place I loved, thanks for that one.

My sister and I are fans of the Spiral Staircase with Dorothy McQuire and George Brent, one of our favorite thrillers which settings played a big part . We have watched this movie since we were young .  It isn't shown on TV, maybe a couple of times, but we have the DVD.  There is thunder and lightening and pouring rain throughout and an dark old house which all add to the mystery.  In my opinion the settings and environment made the movie as much as the acting and story.

Honored Contributor

Trust you, @just bee, to think of Scotty's apartment.  Yes!  I've always loved that little San Fran gem -- and the scene where Kim's drinking coffee on the floor in front of his fire with Jimmy.  I do love midcentury modern, and have weirdly incorporated some of that look in my mostly (eccentric) cottage "style".

I'm personally not a minimalist, too sentimental and too fond of beautiful things-- but, I do respect a more minimal aesthetic.  And, I find that I am increasingly drawn to more "spare" interiors.  But still have to have at least some select, "curated"  bric-a-brac around me, ha.

Good to "see" you around here again.  Hope things are getting more back to normal for you after the fire.  Stay strong, @just bee and keep us posted! 

Honored Contributor

They sure don't show that atmospheric "The Spiral Staircase" enough for me, @spiderw --  I'd love to see it again too!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Trust you, @just bee, to think of Scotty's apartment.  Yes!  I've always loved that little San Fran gem -- and the scene where Kim's drinking coffee on the floor in front of his fire with Jimmy.  I do love midcentury modern, and have weirdly incorporated some of that look in my mostly (eccentric) cottage "style".

I'm personally not a minimalist, too sentimental and too fond of beautiful things-- but, I do respect a more minimal aesthetic.  And, I find that I am increasingly drawn to more "spare" interiors.  But still have to have at least some select, "curated"  bric-a-brac around me, ha.

Good to "see" you around here again.  Hope things are getting more back to normal for you after the fire.  Stay strong, @just bee and keep us posted! 

@Oznell 

Vertigo

Vertigo

There you go...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I always say it, @just bee --  you're tip top!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I always say it, @just bee --  you're tip top!

@Oznell 

Backatcha! Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Too many to mention and there is one that has been totally elusive to me for years... I remember seeing a film on the old 'Saturday Night at the Movies" that featured a killer apartment with a huge wall sized window that jutted out from the top and angled inward. It was someone's multi-level main room and was both a home and office... I've searched to no avail to find the name of the movie so I could perhaps find images of the space... For all I know, it might be a childhood memory that would not live up to expectations... As for one I remember clearly, I'll always love Rebacca's Manderley bedroom...

Image result for rebecca's manderley bedroom

Related image

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I love the  old Plantation style mansions like in Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte and especialy the Wilkes' Plantaion in Gone with the Wind.....especially that staircase!