Honored Contributor

Re: FAVORITE OLD MOVIE SETS?

What a fun romp of a movie that was, @Witchy Woman -- I remember that house!  Didn't they end up by fixing it up quite nicely (like they always do through the art of "movie magic") by the end of the summer?

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

I think they were just renting for the summer....cannot remember how it ended.  I must rewatch it sometime.

The scene where he goes into the mechanical shed for hot water or something was hysterical at the time.

Fabian is in it....a long ago heart throb.  And Maureen O'Hara....The house was just a big old, run down Victorian.  

A silly movie for sure, but I remember laughing a lot the first time I saw it.

Honored Contributor

I  loved the cottage in, On Golden Pond, and the  house in,  The Enchanted Cottage..

Honored Contributor

Those were perfect examples of cottage style, @cherry.  I also really love the unpretentious, low-key "Golden Pond" cottage-- it was exactly the kind of vacation cabin that those characters would have had...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, yeah, @Judaline, that fieldstone wonder is WAY up on my list-- forgot about that one!  I think that was based on director Howard Hawks' fabulous New England style house at the time.  It was considered a model of refined style in Hollywood, esp. when he was married to his talented wife "Slim" Hawks (who was also the model for the beautifully insolent character he helped Bacall perfect in "To Have and Have Not"....)

Interesting, @Oznell !!!

Honored Contributor

Found her, Slim Hawks! @Oznell  Wouldn't that be the checked suit LB wore in To Have and Have Not? I don't remember the belt, tho. Thanks

Image result for slim hawks photos

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman  and @Oznell  - Love Mr. Hobbs and have it on DVD.  At the end it was fixed up - great location on the beach.

Two more favorites - Brian Keith's ranch home in The Parent Trap and the Frank Lloyd Wright home at the end of A Summer Place.   Both beautiful!

Esteemed Contributor

@twinsister 

I must go back and watch it again!  

Respected Contributor

@Judaline   Thanks for the picture of Slim Hawks!  She was one of Truman Capote's Swans.  A great looking woman and a fabulous photographer.  After the divorce from Hawks, she married Leland Hayward, Hayward left her for Pamela Harriman.  Slim was a favorite of Hemmingway as well.  She could shoot and fish with the best of them.  Her daughter was Kitty Hawks, a model and an Interior Designer.  Picture of Kitty Hawks during her modeling days, years ago:

9321aaceb872a7bedea5bc6e77b34c28.jpg

It is similar to what Lauren Bacall wore but I don't think it's the same.  I think those are pants that Slim is wearing.  I could be wrong.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@Judaline   Thanks for the picture of Slim Hawks!  She was one of Truman Capote's Swans.  A great looking woman and a fabulous photographer.  After the divorce from Hawks, she married Leland Hayward, Hayward left her for Pamela Harriman.  Slim was a favorite of Hemmingway as well.  She could shoot and fish with the best of them.  Her daughter was Kitty Hawks, a model and an Interior Designer.  Picture of Kitty Hawks during her modeling days, years ago:

9321aaceb872a7bedea5bc6e77b34c28.jpg

It is similar to what Lauren Bacall wore but I don't think it's the same.  I think those are pants that Slim is wearing.  I could be wrong.

You're probably right.

Anyway, it's so interesting about Slim, in many ways. And isn't that a fabulous name, Kitty Hawks? How clever can you get!!! Thanks!