Respected Contributor

Re: FAVORITE OLD MOVIE SETS?

[ Edited ]

Loved so many that have been mentioned!  Loved the kitchen in It's Complicated, Kate Winslett Rose Hill Cottage, Cameron Diaz's California house in The Holiday, the house in Father of the Bride with Steve Martin, White of Mourne cottage in The Quiet Man.  So many more!

Respected Contributor

I'm always interested in set decoration as well.  I'd have to really give this topic some thought, but the one movie that stood out in my mind is 2001:  A Space Odyssey.

From the set decor to the costumes, it was so modern.  Watching it now it still stands out.  The only thing about it that now looks dated is 'Hal' the watchful eye of the on board computer.   Robot surprised

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Oznell, 

Thanks for this forum !  I love Katherine Hepburn's NY apartment in Desk Set,  the NY house in Moonstruck, loved that big kitchen, I agree the Fountainhead interiors, though not my style, are spectacular, must be the space and lighting, Doris Day's place in Midnight Lace and all the settings in her movies reflect that decade, Tara from Gone With the Wind and I could go on and on .

It's funny but I have mentioned how I love ghost stories since a young girl.  In so many of the well done movies, The Haunting, The Innocents, The Uninvited to mention a few started my love for Victorian houses , Burnt Offerings is another one with a lovely big old house.  Of course , I wouldn't mind living in the Downton Abby estate either which definitely caught the era and story line perfectly.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Bette Davis's 2  southern mansions in "Jezebel"; Doris Day's family home in "By the Light of the Silvery Moon"; the Miniver's home in "Mrs. Miniver"; the family farm house in "Remember the night"; the country home in "The Women"; the beautiful NYC townhouse in "Life with Father"; the Victorian home in "Meet Me in St. Louis"; the inn in " Holiday Inn"; and of course the wonderful farm house in "Christmas in Connecticut."

Trusted Contributor

I love the house in “The Uninvited”.  

And, of course, “Rebecca” - I dream of living in Manderley!  I need a morning room! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I remember not liking Indiscreet but I'm going to have to watch it again. Those pics look like something I would really like!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

All these mentions are re-igniting my memory of my faves as well.  Definitely Hepburn's apartment in "Desk Set".  The "Father of the Bride" house-- both original and remake.  The house and staircase in "The Magnificent Ambersons".

Interestingly, @spiderw, a lot of the truly great sets and art direction involve suspense or horror movies, don't they?  Michelle Pfeiffer's water-side house in "What Lies Beneath",  the "Uninvited" house, the "Midnight Lace" flat and all the other scary ones mentioned.  The Michael Douglas/Gwyneth Paltrow film "A Perfect Murder", had such a memorably swank apartment:

The pretty architecture of the "What Lies Beneath" house:

What-Lies-Beneath-house-front-porch.jpg

c3432ef467cdcff0628b11debaf0d8f9.jpg

be1b17a6d7dbed0d98f257e66b835a40.jpg

That movie was so spooky, it was almost hard to enjoy the architecture at the time!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

Loved all the examples....you do have a way of finding things!

I adore any interior shot from Sunset Boulevard.  Her bedroom, the ballroom.

A very old movie with Jimmy Stewart, Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation....the house....this is the only one I could find in a quick search.

house

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, yeah, @Judaline, that fieldstone wonder is WAY up on my list-- forgot about that one!  I think that was based on director Howard Hawks' fabulous New England style house at the time.  It was considered a model of refined style in Hollywood, esp. when he was married to his talented wife "Slim" Hawks (who was also the model for the beautifully insolent character he helped Bacall perfect in "To Have and Have Not"....)