Respected Contributor

Re: FAVORITE CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD MEMOIRS?

@Oznell wrote:

@luvmyteddy4,  I forgot to pick up on your mention of the Shelley Winters book(s).  They are very entertaining.  I didn't admire her, particularly, and of course much of what she recounted was self-serving, and I must say, a bit smug and parochial.  But she could tell a story!  That whole world of Hollywood and the theater, in the Fifties especially, is fascinating.

I loved her account of making "The Night of the Hunter".  She adored Charles Laughton directing her in that brilliant film...

Shelley had a lot of boyfriends from what I picked up from her or the way she tells it lol I would like to read her books. I may have to look for one.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@luvmyteddy4,  I forgot to pick up on your mention of the Shelley Winters book(s).  They are very entertaining.  I didn't admire her, particularly, and of course much of what she recounted was self-serving, and I must say, a bit smug and parochial.  But she could tell a story!  That whole world of Hollywood and the theater, in the Fifties especially, is fascinating.

I loved her account of making "The Night of the Hunter".  She adored Charles Laughton directing her in that brilliant film...

DH worships Robert Mitchum. I remember something Polly Bergen said about her and Mitchum in that movie where she is suppose to be acting so scared.  cracked me up........

Honored Contributor

You're not kidding, @luvmyteddy4 -- even Burt Lancaster, at one point!  Too many to recall!

Honored Contributor

Can you remember what Polly Bergen said, @SharkE ?  Would love to know, ha.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oh yeah, but, wouldn't want the pile on I'd get in here.

Let's just say she really had to 'act' scared during the attack scene she thought he was so HOT hahahhaha  He had no shortage of enamored women. Shame you can't say what you really want too, but, I got enough

folks watching every word I say.

Gees, I hate that !!!!      ROFLMAO

Cape Fear, was the movie.

Honored Contributor

Can't remember if that was from her book 'Polly's Principles' or a quote from a book on Mitchum.   Remember Polly was back in 70's.