Honored Contributor

Re: FAVORITE CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD MEMOIRS?

Anything "Audrey" or "Breakfast at Tiffany's"-  related is a real find, @GingerPeach !    Bye the bye, I know you don't get TCM any more, but your voice is definitely missed in the TCM movie discussions, for sure!

@SharkE,  thanks for tip on book sources.

Valued Contributor

For fans of James Garner, "The Garner Files" is a good one.

"The Americanization of Emily" has always been one of my favorite movies, and I sometimes watch old episodes of "Maverick" and "The Rockford Files."

I have always enjoyed his work.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is one that is a "classic" of sorts in my family: "Uncommon Knowledge," by Judy Lewis.

I laugh whenever I think of it, because my grandmother adored Loretta Young. When the story of the lengths that Loretta Young went to in concealing the truth, my grandmother just would not believe it. She refused to admit that "saint Loretta" could do such a thing.

We teased Gran about this whenever we got the chance.

Edited to add that I do not find the Judy Lewis story amusing at all. I find it heartbbreaking in many ways.

Honored Contributor

You are too kind, @Oznell 

If you get the email announcements, the latest one gave a link to the Noir Alley site where the upcoming films are now listed. 

I look forward to future discussions.  

noiralley.tcm DOT com

Image result for noir movie emoji

noiralley.tcm DOT com

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Great!  Thanks so much, @GingerPeach !

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Yeah, read the Kirk Douglas one. all these stars after their heyday is over sit and reflect how they were lousy parents (Not Dan Duryea, though his kids said he was the best) and now Michael admits he was less then great parent too. 

I don't understand why Joan adopted those 2 in first place. Just for the publicity I guess.  Katherine Hepburn, who , I never cared for she was homely and had that awful accent, but, she did have a point when she said "stardom or raising kids you can't do both" So, she skipped the kids. She did the right thing.

If you ever can catch Johnny Carson when he had Bette Davis on that was great watching. God, that woman smoked. She looked like a horror when she got old. In her secretary's book written on her she detailed life with her there at the end. Good read. They traveled, she was with her during her breast cancer ordeal (back then, it was different story) 

Amazon and Edward R Hamilton books online are great resource for Hollywood tell alls.   Library, of course ! FREE LOL

As I recall, she didn't inhale. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Ha, with Lee Grant's title, and Ava Gardner's cover picture, who could resist their books?  Thanks again, posters for great suggestions.

Being a huge Brando fan (back in his day) I am somehow affiliating Lee Grant with him. Was there a connection? I could be mixing her up, there were so many you know, lol.

Honored Contributor

Hmmmm, @Judaline  Lee Grant with Brando?  I don't have anything, but maybe some other knowledgeable poster has the goods!   

Honored Contributor

i have two favorites......both that were easy to read and interesting. i could not put them down. i love these types of books for when i am at the beach and can really relax and enjoy them. i recommend both of them highly. its like hearing about lives in a totally different world.

the first one was PIECES OF MY HEART by ROBERT WAGNER.

i had the chance to meet him and hear him speak (along with stefanie powers) two years ago. they were so much fun to listen to......a great on screen couple who seemed to have a wonderful friendship. robert wagner is so lucky to have experienced several powerful loves in his lifetime. look how fantastic he looks on this book cover.......

pieces of my heart robert wagner.jpg

the second one is STORIES I ONLY TELL MY FRIENDS by ROB LOWE (2012). another fine looking book cover! Smiley Wink it is another interesting growing up in hollywood story......the fun, the pain, the sadness, the power, the women, the loves, and the breakups.sometimes i read these and feel like they lived a lifetime in a very short period of time. he had another book out in 2014 that i have not had the chance to read, but i am going to order it right now. it is called LOVE LIFE.

stories i only tell my friends rob lowe.jpg

now i am going to go back and read your posts about what you all recommend. i may have to do some ordering on amazon or barnes and noble tonight. if anyone has a great book to read about charlie chaplin i would love to hear the name of the book.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

They both sound terrific, @sunshine45 , and wow, Robert Wagner does look incredible in that photo.

I've been rather surprised at the insights Rob Lowe has expressed in interviews-- I bet his book is good.