Trusted Contributor

Re: FAVORITE CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD MEMOIRS?

Knock wood by candice bergman. Its about growing up having a puppet as her brother, yes he was that much part of her family.
Honored Contributor

@Highlands72 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:
. . .

Read one on Bob Hope he was another skirt chaser and his wife was a martyr.  Bing Crosby was mean as hale. Kids hated him, wife put up with stuff as most wives do.

book on the cast of I Love Lucy was a good read. Fred and Ethel in real life couldn't stand each other ! I mean absolutely couldn't stand each other.

'Ethel', resented Lucy for always wanting her to look fat and dumpy while Lucy always told everybody she was a size 14. Now days that would be considered "fatty" girl.   LOL

---

"Going My Own Way," by Gary Crosby was an interesting one. So many people "love" Bing Crosby that I generally hesitate to mention it for fear of ruffling feathers.

Can't remember if the one I read about Vivian Vance was an autobiography or not, but it was a good one.

I watched a special on PBS about Bob Hope.  I was really surprised to learn how much he cheated on his wife.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Forgot Anjelica Huston's book, @Somertime ,  that's a reeally good one!

Yeah, @Imaoldhippie ,  "Mommie Dearest" was horrifying. Ned Wynn in his book even mentions his mother Evie taking him to one of Christina Crawford's elaborate birthday parties.  Joan wouldn't let Christina come down and join her own party, because she had been "bad".  Ned's mother pleaded with Joan to let Christina come down, and Ned remembers Christina sadly waving down to him from her "exile".... 

I would love to read Lee Grant's book, @catsgalore5354 ,  making notes to find that one!

This thread in general will be a treasure trove to remind me of ones I want to read again, and point me to new ones, thanks, posters!

I was just thinking the same thingSmiley Happy  Thanks everybody.

Esteemed Contributor

Not Hollywood, but Rock & Roll. I Loved...

Boys in The Trees by Carly Simon  very interesting

I just started reading Could It Be Forever by David Cassidy

I have 3 or 4 Bette Davis books that I haven't read yet. 

Honored Contributor

9d948fabd20a9acc7359d12a51cdefcf43dd8c57.jpg

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

Ha, with Lee Grant's title, and Ava Gardner's cover picture, who could resist their books?  Thanks again, posters for great suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Too many rules.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

It's been absolutely dozens of years since I've read a Hollywood memoir, although I still have them all on my shelves.

I do fondly remember Me by Katherine Hepburn (but more fondly remember her sharing of her brownie recipe in a 1975 Ladies' Home Journal that I cleverly kept).  You can find the recipe online but make sure the one you use includes her precise instructions to "beat like mad."  That's how you know it's the authentic version.

I was most recently impressed by the book Fifth Avenue, 5 a.m. by Sam Wasson, the detailed, beautifully written, and fascinating story of Audrey and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I read the Ava book not much on her. No talent and she was a drunk.

Found another good place for books thriftbooks.com

99 cent shp , free shipping if you spend 10.00

Edward R Hamilton, is 4.00 shipping for everything

Just have to compare what your buying.

I still read little movie star stuff, but, now, I'm more into English history.

Queenie and King stuff.