Respected Contributor

Re: FANS OF "GREY GARDENS" BOUVIER FAMILY DOCUMENTARY TCM

Saw the original documentary, and I was fascinated by it.

They had to be mentally ill, very few people would live like this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush  "They had to be mentally ill"

ITA, to live in such deplorable conditions on purpose=mentally ill. 

The mothers bedroom was a pig sty & the cats litter box.  Mom's bed was a fast food restaurant.  No room for her to lie completely down.

When I saw that racoon & rat come into the bedroom through the ceiling to floor hole in the wall to steal slices of bread & eat off Big Edie's dinner tray, I was done!faint.gif

I wanted to learn more those 2 & through WIKI discovered Little Edie had 2 brothers!  I don't remember Little Edit or the mother mentioning the brothers/sons.

Both brothers were wealthy in their own right & did quite well.  They could not get their mother & sister to move either.  The only $$$$ they contributed was to pay the back taxes on the mansion.  That's it!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I watched it too.  They never showed their kitchen or bathrooms?  And the guests they had for Big Edie's birthday, who were they? 

How did Little Edie end up living with her mother.  I think they both had early stage dementia (and no I'm not a Doctor, just reminded me of little things my MIL says or how she chooses to live & not care).

I couldn't believe the condtion of her bed and cooking corn.. that was strange, to me.  How funny when they both got to talking loudly, both of them sounded like screeching.

It was very sad.  I did read one of her son's refused to help to try to get both of them to move out.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Suziepeach wrote:

I watched it too.  They never showed their kitchen or bathrooms?  And the guests they had for Big Edie's birthday, who were they? 

How did Little Edie end up living with her mother.  I think they both had early stage dementia (and no I'm not a Doctor, just reminded me of little things my MIL says or how she chooses to live & not care).

I couldn't believe the condtion of her bed and cooking corn.. that was strange, to me.  How funny when they both got to talking loudly, both of them sounded like screeching.

It was very sad.  I did read one of her son's refused to help to try to get both of them to move out.

@Suziepeach.  If I remember correctly, they had no running water so they didn’t use the bathroom. I think they just went wherever. 

Esteemed Contributor

Both versions are available On Demand...I only saw the version with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange, so I will check into the original version....Fascinating story and this thread shed some light on many questions that I had.

Thanks for posting this @Oznell and to everyone!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Suziepeach wrote:

@Suziepeach.  If I remember correctly, they had no running water so they didn’t use the bathroom. I think they just went wherever. 

Thank you, @proudlyfromNJ .  I do remember that note Little Edie wrote "In the bathroom or in the bathtub" was why I asked.  Basically the whole documentary gave me chills and much sadness for them both- my MIL- who has dementia, well things just reminded me of her.

Thank you again!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

We tried to watch last night but ended up turning the channel.  Never heard of these people until I read this thread and looked them up on Wikipedia.  Interesting story, I guess, but seems rather insensitive to put them out there on film like that for the whole world to see.  I suppose they agreed to it, but not sure they understood all the ramifications.  

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

We tried to watch last night but ended up turning the channel.  Never heard of these people until I read this thread and looked them up on Wikipedia.  Interesting story, I guess, but seems rather insensitive to put them out there on film like that for the whole world to see.  I suppose they agreed to it, but not sure they understood all the ramifications.  

@wildcat fan. They put themselves out there in the original Grey Gardens filmed in 1975 in which they allowed themselves to be filmed.

The newest one with Jessica Lange was a remake.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Flatbush  "They had to be mentally ill"

ITA, to live in such deplorable conditions on purpose=mentally ill. 

The mothers bedroom was a pig sty & the cats litter box.  Mom's bed was a fast food restaurant.  No room for her to lie completely down.

When I saw that racoon & rat come into the bedroom through the ceiling to floor hole in the wall to steal slices of bread & eat off Big Edie's dinner tray, I was done!faint.gif

I wanted to learn more those 2 & through WIKI discovered Little Edie had 2 brothers!  I don't remember Little Edit or the mother mentioning the brothers/sons.

Both brothers were wealthy in their own right & did quite well.  They could not get their mother & sister to move either.  The only $$$$ they contributed was to pay the back taxes on the mansion.  That's it!

Big Edie and Little Edie were going through old photographs. And there were several photos of the 2 brothers and little Edie and Big Edie. I do not remember any other mention of the 2 brothers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just watched it. I'm confused. The house inside.........where was the dilapidation-the deterioration, the total mess that the movies presented?Except for the attic and the dusty stairs, where was it? Or am I late to the party and this was after some sort of renovation?