Honored Contributor

Re: FANS OF "GREY GARDENS" BOUVIER FAMILY DOCUMENTARY

@Somertime   Thanks...interesting.  $32K to Jackie O would be a lunch date for us.  I'm thinking why there wasn't an intervention to assist these ladies with employment and financial planning.  But I'm thinking there may have been mental challenges that would have prevented full time employment.  Wish the sisters could have helped, but I guess that was not possible financially for Lee and lack of interest for Jackie.  I'm looking forward to the film tonight.  Thanks for the insight.

Respected Contributor

Re: FANS OF "GREY GARDENS" BOUVIER FAMILY DOCUMENTARY TCM

I've seen this documentary and have three words to describe it: fascinating, bizarre and sad.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Somertime:

Thank you for the information about Sally Quinn. I read more about her and the restoration.

I got a kick out of reading that Little Edie told Sally Quinn that "All it needs is a coat of paint".

Honored Contributor

This statement from Little Edie indicates a separation from reality....which explains the years that the two Edie's lived in a couple of rooms of this ruinous house.  Sally Quinn must have spent a fortune renovating this tear down.  She says in the article that she was overwhelmed when she started the project, but the treasures she found in the attic helped assuage her fixer-upper anxiety.  I'm sure she could have purchased a gorgeous East Hampton mini-mansion for the money she invested in this renovation.  I'm curious what impelled Sally Quinn to embark on this arduous journey....I'm sure it was not money.

@drizzellla wrote:

@Somertime:

I got a kick out of reading that Little Edie told Sally Quinn that "All it needs is a coat of paint".

Esteemed Contributor

I've seen the documentary,very bizarre.I read a book by the woman who lived with the Edies. I don't remember the name of it.  It was really interesting.

I think Jackie tried to help them more than once and they just went back to their ways. Marching to that very different drummer.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you Oznell. I did not know it was that family. Got it recorded.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I know both of those movies, practically by heart.  First I saw the original, then the one that was made of the orginal.  Drew Barrymore and the gal who plays her mother (name escapes me right now), but I'll remember it, were great in that movie.  It's one I've just gotten hooked on.

@qualitygal   Jessica Lange

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are actually two docus. There is one made a few years after the first one with left over footage.   

(somedays I'm Big Edie...somedays I'm Little Edie)

Valued Contributor

It’s funny how Little Edie talks about how she thinks that Jerry, “The Marble Faun,” has a crush on her. Jerry had just run away from home in Brooklyn because his father was abusive. He was in East Hampton helping his uncle build a house and was just looking for odd jobs. He came out as gay many years later.

Esteemed Contributor

Big Edie also had two sons who had distanced themselves from the Edies because they would not change their lifestyle.  One son said his mother was the original hippie.