Trusted Contributor

Re: FANS OF "GREY GARDENS" BOUVIER FAMILY DOCUMENTARY

[ Edited ]

I had just seen a video of Sally Quinn being interviewed on this.  I had no idea she bought it.  My goodness she even reburbished all the original furniture, i.e., wicker etc.

Then I saw a video of Liz Lange on one of the house shows that she owned it.  I couldn't believe that either, so surprised.  If anyone watches HSN, Liz was a vendor for them.

Edit: I also read the daughter died in Florida.

Ruin finery, that's all I got.  What do they call that, stoney broke?

Honored Contributor

Sometimes you can't help people who are determined to live like this.  You simply can't "make" someone do the right things sometimes.  

Respected Contributor

@MarkeieMark   In genteel society, they are referred to as eccentric, people like us are called bat s..t crazy!

They are, also, described as living in reduced circumstance as opposed to penniless!

Honored Contributor

This is a worthwhile documentary to watch.  I have seen Grey Gardens and while tragic, a fascinating insight into these women.  I will set my DVR, thanks for the heads up!

Honored Contributor

I watched the documentary several years ago when it was shown the first time on TCM. Sad to watch, not sure I have it in me to watch it again.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell I saw a chunk of the "documentary" once, but became utterly depressed and had to stop.  Felt like a voyeur to two sad women's mental illness.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell, Thank you for this alert.  I have scheduled this movie to be recorded this evening.

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much, @Somertime, for those fabulous links.  What a beautiful job the Bradlees did in bringing back the romance, and the "ease" of the original house!  I knew they had undertaken that Herculean task, but somehow never saw pictures of what they accomplished.  Incredible.

Say what you will about Sally Quinn, she has done some beautiful houses.  The huge historical pile in Washington that had belonged to Robert Lincoln (son of Abe), was also brought to a fine glory by her!

Honored Contributor

Re: FANS OF "GREY GARDENS" BOUVIER FAMILY DOCUMENTARY TCM

Sorry, @Judaline, I had forgotten to tack my usual "TCM" on the end!  Added it in title now.

Honored Contributor

I saw the Drew Barrymore version and enjoyed it.  Jessica Lange played her mother in it.