Honored Contributor

Re: FANS OF FILM NOIR MASTERPIECE, "LAURA", WEDNESDAY ALERT!

Too bad my birthday passed. Oh well, it will give my son a year to find the book on Dan Duryea and Van Johnson. My son always seems to find biographies of "old time" actors for my birthday.

He found the autobiography/biographies of S.Z. Sakall, Joe E. Brown, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Chuck Jones, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Rita Hayworth and I am sure there are others that I forgot. Not sure where he has found them. Some have been out of print since the 1950s.

Thanks for mentioning the books. They sound interesting.

Honored Contributor

Amazon, is the best place to buy. I always get the used ones instead of brand new. Prefer hardback.

I bought a DVD from Amazon while I was looking around on my Dan Duryea kick 'Black Angel' has Peter Lorre in it too.

Sometimes they will have books for a 1.00 always have to add 4 bucks for shp. but, cheaper then buying brand new copies from bookstore and they ship fairly fast.

Honored Contributor

Another great in the world of movies, you can watch it many times and love it each time as much.  In my opinion no one does justice to the song Laura than Sinatra,  I feel every word!

Honored Contributor

Hey, what a thoughtful son you have to build up your film library that way, @drizzellla!  He sounds like a very discerning young man.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Hey, what a thoughtful son you have to build up your film library that way, @drizzellla!  He sounds like a very discerning young man.

He enjoys movies (did he inherit it from me?). So on occasion we sit and watch old movies together. Or he will find a rare DVD of a movie that I especially like. 

We went to a 35mm Film Festival a few months ago. My son knew many of the people running the film festival and is friends with some of the people that put the festival together.

So it is fun to sit back and see what he comes up with for my birthday. He has purchased numerous books from England. Not sure how biographies end up there. 

He also takes me to see old movies in theaters. He knows what I like and so on an occasional Sunday afternoon we see The General, Make Way for Tomorrow, How Green was my Valley, Stage Door, The Strongman etc. We saw the General twice because the second time the movie was accompanied by a restored Wurlitzer Pipe Organ.

Honored Contributor

Whoops! I just saw your thread, @Oznell . I commented  on the movie  on the other thread, lol. Now we know for sure it's on tonite, thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I think that's my avatar on your first picture!

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, I knew that image was strangely familiar!!  You chose a beaut for your avatar!

Honored Contributor

Vera Caspary wrote the book Laura, but her novel Thelma is the one I have read so many times I had to buy a second copy.  I always thought it would have made and excellent movie (or mini series) like Laura. 

Vera CasparyVera

10993007. sx318

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

Saw this movie many, many times.  One of my favorites.  I always look for it among TCM's listings and will be watching again tonight.  Thanks oznell.