Honored Contributor

Re: FAKE HOUSEHUNTERS ON HGTV

They aren't real life.  There's nothing real about those, they are entertainement.  As scripted, directed, produced, dressed, made up etc etc etc as any sitcom.  Of course, they have to throw in some "drama" to make the shows interesting.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband had a relative who was featured on House Hunters.  She was young, quirky and had an old (sugar daddy) partner.  Months after she purchased a house, her realtor contacted her and asked if she wanted to be on the show.  Two of the houses shown she never considered.

The entire show was scripted, I know this for a fact.

Esteemed Contributor

There was a local couple featured in the show in the spring. Made the newspaper

and they did purchase a house from the 3 shown. 

I think some of it is exaggerated especially getting the possible homebuyer to

complain about what the house is missing or the distance to work, etc. but I

believe sometimes they do purchase a home.

Don't think the show would be on the air for so long if it was completely fake.

Honored Contributor

I haven't tuned in to HGTV in years and have also stopped looking at the magazine... It all just became too redundant, both the programming and the design aesthetic. For a few years after they essentially became the 'real estate network'... I enjoyed the occasional Househunter, Property Virgin, or house 'flip' show, but it got to be too much and like others, I miss more of a focus on decorating and design and especially decorating and design that doesn't all pretty much look alike...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

If all the House Hunters shows are fake and filmed sometimes months later after they've already bought and moved in.....then I wonder what do they do with their furniture and decorations because 9 times out of 10 they show 3 empty houses and talk about the changes they would want to make then show them supposedly weeks or months later with all their furniture and decorations and the home improvements they've done.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

If all the House Hunters shows are fake and filmed sometimes months later after they've already bought and moved in.....then I wonder what do they do with their furniture and decorations because 9 times out of 10 they show 3 empty houses and talk about the changes they would want to make then show them supposedly weeks or months later with all their furniture and decorations and the home improvements they've done.

Storage.  It's a no brainer.  If they are using someone's real home, they put all their stuff in storage so they can film the empty house segment.  

Honored Contributor

From what I've seen on all the house (and island) hunting shows I've seen, what they do is to make the shows more interesting and the homes more appealing.   No one is trying to "fool" anybody.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

HGTV should rebrand itself as RE - it's just a real estate channel now. 

The only way I'd watch now is if they'd do a Classics block of the original shows.

Trusted Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

I never watch HGTV anymore. I miss the good decorating shows they used to have on. 

It's like all the other fake reality shows anymore.  I used to really like the gardening and decorating stuff but haven't watched in ages.

Valued Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote

And how about that very handsome Scott McGillivray on Income Property. Even if you didn't like the show you had to like looking at him.

I so totally agree! Loved to watch Income Property. Most of the time couldn't tell you a thing about the episode! LOL!

Thought the guy on Curb Appeal was a doll too! He used to model for covers of romance novels.

And don't forget Carter Osterhouse (or however it is spelled)

cookin