Respected Contributor

Re: FAIRLY RECENT ONLINE TRIBUTE TO DAVID JANSSEN AND "THE FUGITIVE"

Just watched the tribute. Thank you for the memories of David Jansen. I watched every week. I loved the series . He was one of a  kind. Wasn't he just soo handsome? 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@Oznell  Once again thank you for letting us know about something interesting we might like to watch related to retro TV.  

I'll let others have the debate about how the producers came up with the premise for the show, but I'd like to praise David Janssen.  As time has passed, I feel his performance has become rather underrated in TV history.  Perhaps this is because Janssen didn't ham up the role and kept to the character's profile of being a man on the run from the law who lived a lonely existence.  He was supposed to play the role with silent courage, and in scenes with the other characters in each episode, appear under the radar and low key.  That may have been very hard for a lot of actors, so the producers hired the right man for the role. 

@Trix  There is no debate. I just a briefly mentioned it because Janssen  was asked about the Sheppard case in the video.

Honored Contributor

@Trix,  great analysis of the appeal and the absolute rightness of David Janssen in the role!  I didn't know you  are a Fugitive fan --  if you ever feel like popping in on the ongoing weekly alerts, we'd love your insights.

@Catiele,  ditto, I didn't quite realize you are a Fuge fan, but should have known, given your affinity for noir and the best of vintage films.  Would love to see you on the weekly threads as well, if ever you're inclined. 

Agreed, DJ was adorable!  A bonus of that interview with him, is that he was chuckling and smiling a little bit, showing his dimples.  We don't get to see that too much on the show! 

Honored Contributor

The recent posts of @Trix and @Catiele   reminded me to extend invitations to all on here, including  @spiderw and @mousiegirl ,  who are not necessarily regulars on the Fugitive threads, to jump in if ever inclined.  You don't have to be a "regular".  We have some who come and go, and we love their input.  The more viewpoints, the more I realize stuff I've missed and it's a much richer experience and discussion! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I am unable to critique as you and others do, all I seem to say is if I saw an episode and liked it, lol.  You should have been a professional critic as you are so very good at it.

Honored Contributor

I've always enjoyed your assessments, @mousiegirl .  They don't have to be involved or convoluted like mine typically are!  If you ever want to jump on to just say you liked or didn't like an episode, feel free!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the video, @Oznell -- it was nicely done.  Please remind me again why you previously complained about Diane Baker.  I always thought her character's presence struck a false note.  (Not her fault -- DB was a good actress.)

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:
Spoiler

Thanks for the video, @Oznell -- it was nicely done.  Please remind me again why you previously complained about Diane Baker.  I always thought her character's presence struck a false note.  (Not her fault -- DB was a good actress.)

@vsm. I don't know that @Oznell  was ever specific but I agree with her. I'll see if I can post a spoiler to give you my opinion rather than discuss openly. Some here haven't seen the ending so please don't spoil. Ignore the spoiler above, I wrote in the one below.

Spoiler
In my opinion she was too young and had little chemistry with DJ. Also her character wasn't very well developed. A slightly older and more sophisticated actress would have been better. She looked young and seemed naive to Kimble's experience and worldliness. She was miscast..

Honored Contributor

Hi @vsm ,  good question.   I like your term, "false note", that's it exactly!

WARNING ALERT (to those who don't know anything about the ending of the Fugitive;  and don't want to know yet.)  Avoid reading answer below!

Yes, @vsm ,  "false note" is right.  You probably are aware of how the show (incredibly) hadn't planned on a "resolution" episode, and at the last minute had to scramble to come up with one.  I think that shows in the casting of Diane Baker, as @Pearlee mentions. 

Kimble had had a relationship of sorts with "Ellie Burnett" (Suzanne Pleshette) from Stafford, but "Jean" (Diane Baker) was a Stafford cypher who appeared out of the blue, and didn't seem a good fit with Kimble.  Through no fault of D.B.'s, the character, while well-meaning, seemed a bit callow and contrived.  I agree with you that Diane Baker is an excellent performer, but they clearly didn't put any thought into who would be the ideal woman for Kimble to walk into the sunset with....

We've played the parlor game before of, who would that woman be?   I thought he had a tender chemistry with Susan Oliver from the sail-making episode.  There was definitely something with Janice Rule, in one of her Fuge appearances.  There were a lot of undeveloped or half-developed relationships where you could see potential chemistry--  Antoinette Bower, Janis Paige, Norma Crane, the list goes on!  I know I'm forgetting some favorites.    Is there anybody you'd have liked to see with him at the end? 

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@vsm wrote:
Spoiler

@vsm. I don't know that @Oznell  was ever specific but I agree with her. I'll see if I can post a spoiler to give you my opinion rather than discuss openly. Some here haven't seen the ending so please don't spoil. Ignore the spoiler above, I wrote in the one below.

Spoiler
In my opinion she was too young and had little chemistry with DJ. Also her character wasn't very well developed. A slightly older and more sophisticated actress would have been better. She looked young and seemed naive to Kimble's experience and worldliness. She was miscast..

I completely agree with your take, @Pearlee .  Wonder what DJ himself thought.