Honored Contributor

FAIRLY RECENT ONLINE TRIBUTE TO DAVID JANSSEN AND "THE FUGITIVE"

[ Edited ]

fugep77sc02b.jpg

Just found this, and it is a lovely, intelligent combo of pictures, music, quotes from his peers, AND a brief but revealing interview with him I'd never seen.

Posting for any of our seasoned, beloved Fuge followers who meet every week to dissect the shows, but also for perhaps a newbie or two interested in learning more about the greatest American noir series ever produced, and its celebrated star.

Whoever made this might be a Brit or a Canadian, judging by their comment that it is a "labour of love",  with the "u" in labor!   And you can tell that it was a labour of love.

That haunting Pete Rugolo score-- the music that is so central to the series-- immediately draws you in, and then the images come thick and fast.

If you watch nothing else, go to about the 15 minute mark, just to see David Janssen interviewed.  Prior to this, the few interviews I've seen with him were sort of show-bizzy and didn't show much of the real DJ.  In some, he may have been under the influence, a bit.  

But in this short interview, I think we're seeing the real deal.  He's soft-spoken, self-deprecating, thoughtful, really sweet.  You can see why those who knew him kept using adjectives like "gentle" and "tender" to describe him....

Diane Baker  (who I've complained about as Kimble's final love interest) actually came up in my estimation, with her assessment of DJ, which is spot-on.  And I love what William Conrad (the galvanizing, deep-voiced narrator of "The Fugitive",  and future TV "Cannon") says.   He simply adored David Janssen, and pungently explains why.

Anyway, if anyone watches the interview with DJ at fifteen minutes in, or watches the whole video, do please share your thoughts with us.

Finally, here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFTW7AC7iiE

Sorry to be so long-winded before posting that, ha.

By the way, I did learn a few new things from it, including that in "Fear in a Desert City",  Brian Keith actually broke two of David Janssen's ribs in a fight scene.  B.K. was incredibly into the vicious character he played in that episode, very chilling performance.  I wonder if that experience is why we see quite a few stunt guys in subsequent episodes performing for David Janssen when things turn violent....

Edited to add:   Anyone who doesn't want to spoil the suspense of the ending and know "too much" about the final two episodes, can stop watching when the video mentions "The Judgment" Parts 1 and 2.  Skipping over to about the 20 minute mark should get you past that.

Honored Contributor

Re: FAIRLY RECENT ONLINE TRIBUTE TO DAVID JANSSEN AND "THE FUGITIVE"

@Oznell   I will watch.  I didn't know William Conrad was the narrator.

Honored Contributor

Oh, good, @mousiegirl .  Yes, love William Conrad and the way he dramatically intones the narration all through "The Fugitive"-- he's a big part of the show for me, even though he's never seen....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   thank you. That was a magnificently done tribute. Will bookmark it to watch again.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

Oh, I'm thrilled you liked it, @Tique !   Coming from you, that's gratifying!

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed the video especially the haunting theme song running throughout.  

When the Fugitive aired in the sixties, I faithfully watched each episode hoping David wouldn't be caught and looking forward to his next adventure.  I always felt for him, such an injustice and remember not liking Morse's character one bit.  

Jansen was meant for the part of Kimble and he certainly played it with all the emotion of being alone on his face.  I really couldn't imagine anyone else playing his part.  His interview was down to earth and expected of him, it fit.

When I cannot sleep sometimes I watch Mannix and Cannon on METV, I loved those shows too.  Thanks for the video and I understand your admiration for a well done series with an actor who made it so.  It is sad to see how many have passed who were involved.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thanks @Oznell . I have flipped by that video before on YouTube but didn't watch it til you posted.  I was -- and still am-- part of the "cult following."  I have been since the first episode. The video sure acknowledged how attractive DJ was to women!

I do hate that the show has always denied being based on the Dr  Sam Sheppard case, which I have no doubt it was. David didn't mention when denying it that Sheppard claimed a bushy haired intruder really killed wife Marilyn, who became  the one-armed man in TF.  It really bothers me that the show doesn't acknowledge at least being "inspired" (big time!) by by that murder that was in the national news less not long before TF.  

I do hope that those here who haven't seen the ending did skip over part of that video with the spoilers as you suggested.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell - thanks for posting.  I will definitely watch when I can.

Honored Contributor

Glad you watched, @spiderw ,  and you are so right about that music!  I have only to hear a few of those plaintive notes to be whisked right back into the thick of the Kimble quest!  Pete Rugolo was a brilliant composer who fit the score expertly to the poignant narrative...

Yes, @Pearlee ,  it was interesting that DJ agreed with Roy Huggins' statements on not basing Fuge on Sheppard (sp?) case.  It's been a long time since I read up on that, but it seems at least one person from that team said it was, and some others said not, if I'm recalling....

Good, @twinsister ,  looking forward to your take on it! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  Once again thank you for letting us know about something interesting we might like to watch related to retro TV.  

I'll let others have the debate about how the producers came up with the premise for the show, but I'd like to praise David Janssen.  As time has passed, I feel his performance has become rather underrated in TV history.  Perhaps this is because Janssen didn't ham up the role and kept to the character's profile of being a man on the run from the law who lived a lonely existence.  He was supposed to play the role with silent courage, and in scenes with the other characters in each episode, appear under the radar and low key.  That may have been very hard for a lot of actors, so the producers hired the right man for the role.