Honored Contributor

FAB SUSPENSE DOUBLE FEATURE TCM SATURDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN

5103XCPK45L._AC_.jpg

FLASH ALERT:   "KEY LARGO", FOLLOWED BY "FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT" SATURDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Whew, great combo--  A John Huston-directed classic, and then a Hitckcock-directed classic.

Bogie and Bacall are great, natch, in "Largo",  but so are Eddie Robinson and my fave noir actress, mercurial Claire Trevor. 

Adorable Joel McCrea in "Foreign Correspondent" had one of his most dashing roles-- love him though, in everything he did--  boyish, quintessentially American, a charmer.  But supporting players like the brilliant Herbert Marshall lift this above the norm.  And George Sanders is enigmatic in this-- for once, I couldn't guess for the longest time, if he was a goodie or a baddie...

gosh, I went to a BIG font for the alert, now when I try to get to a smaller font it goes all different sizes, or super tiny, so will stick with this giant one, ha.

Hope it isn't too obnoxious!   

Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 12.52.08 PM.png

Enjoy the matinee, or record-- they are both stellar movies in the classic film canon.

Honored Contributor

Re: FAB SUSPENSE DOUBLE FEATURE TCM SATURDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN

[ Edited ]

Definitely a great double feature especially Key Largo with that stellar cast.  They were all memorable in their roles even Jay Silverheels aka Tonto.

Trusted Contributor

Don't forget Claire Trevor won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in Key Largo! Very well deserved! 

I have my dvr set to record both of these cinema gems! I had forgotten John Huston directed Key Largo! 

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

When I grow up I’m going to marry either Willian Holden or Joel McCrea.

I think ‘Born Yesterday’ with Judy Holliday and William Holden is a good movie also.

Honored Contributor

I like your taste in actors, @Malcontent !    Come to think of it, Holden and McCrea have some similar qualities...

Honored Contributor

Bonus film noir, Sunday 10:00 a.m. Eastern:

61lrLt9fZGL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

10:00 a.m. Eastern, TCM--  "Desperate".   Sight unseen, but known by reputation.  Highly praised noir directed by the gifted Anthony Mann.   Raymond Burr does one of his turns as a deeply memorable villain-- is there anyone as good has he at that?  boyish Steve Brodie and wife Audrey Long must elude him.   Jason Robards (he must have been quite young) puts in an appearance.

Just a thought, for the real diehard noir aficionados!

desperate-3.jpg

Can never get enough of Burr in film noir....