Honored Contributor

Explosive Edward G. Robinson Day on TCM

[ Edited ]

I adore Edward G. Robinson.  The films they're showing today are not among his most compelling, perhaps, like his landmark performance in "Little Caesar",  the gangster in Key Largo, the patsy in "Scarlet Street", the quirky, relentless insurance investigator (with a heart) in "Double Indemnity", the wily government agent in "The Stranger".

But there's a "double feature" starting at 6;00 p.m. Eastern that offers promising melodrama, and exposure to that inimitable style and staccato delivery:

6:00  p.m. Eastern--  "Manpower"--   Combustible 1941 mixture of Robinson, George Raft, and Marlene Dietrich, no less!  I haven't seen it but I love the succinct description in the guide--  "Two high-tension linemen fight over a clip-joint hostess."   With those particular performers, it works for me!

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Postman Always Rings Twice"   Need I say more?  The James M. Cain novel brought to life, with brilliant John Garfield, Lana Turner at her most glam, and cuckolded husband Robinson in a noir love triangle that doesn't end well.

In real life, Robinson was apparently quite a mensch, a gentle soul, and passionate, expert art collector.

Honored Contributor

Re: Explosive Edward G. Robinson Day on TCM

That is why I got up early on Saturday - to watch him in Larceny, Inc.

The man can do it all with ease - comedy or drama.

Honored Contributor

I agree, Oznell, about EGR.  A great actor.  Haven't seen a lot of his films and the ones on today seem to be less well known.

FYI, he was NOT in Postman Always Rings Twice, a favorite film of mine.  That was Cecil Kelleway in what is a rather minor role.

Esteemed Contributor

Love EGR......great actor....good to see he is being honored on TCM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He owned the screen, being only about 5 feet tall.  His biography states 5'7" but I don't think so.   Many prominent actors are not tall at all, he was shorter than all of them.

Double Indemnity is another one I can watch again & again.

@Oznell

Honored Contributor

aRe: Explosive Edward G. Robinson Day on TCM

@kaydee50, oh of course you are right.  I can picture Cecil Kellaway now in the part!  How could I be so dopey. I guess they switch off to a mini-Lana Turner festival at 8:00. Thanks, @kaydee50.

Still, E.G.R. could be an interesting alternative in the role, ha.  Remember how devastated he was at Joan Bennett's treachery in "Scarlett Street" and the other film they were in together, which I can't remember the name of?

The guy can play anything, tough, or tender and sensitive.  I've just surrendered, and have the TV on in l.r.,  and when ducking in and out doing chores, try to catch him in these various flicks.  He's just so good.

Speaking of Lana, night owls, "Johnny Eager" comes on at half past midnight tonight Eastern.  One of my favorite Robert Taylor parts (he does ambivalence so beautifully) and he and Lana are quite the combo in this noirish crime thriller.

Honored Contributor

@software, the way he adored Fred MacMurray in that, and yet bird-dogged the case as far as his dogged integrity would take him-- just great!

Honored Contributor

Re: aRe: Explosive Edward G. Robinson Day on TCM

Woman in the Window is the other Joan Bennet movie EGR was in.  He is always interesting and believable even when he's playing a sea captain in Sea Wolf.  Also was great in the Cincinnati Kid, Soylent Green (his last movie) and many others.  He and Claude Raines, I think, are under appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Wow, "Manpower" not only has Robinson, Raft and Dietrich, but superb eternal sidekick Eve Arden...

Valued Contributor

Re: aRe: Explosive Edward G. Robinson Day on TCM

I wish Johnny Eager wasn't on so late - that is one of Robert Taylor's best movies. I also liked him in His Brother's Wife (with his future wife Barbara Stanwyck) and Camille. On a Saturday Night TCM Essentials, Robert Osborne said that Robert Taylor was an underrated actor.