Honored Contributor

European Skating Championships on now and this week

European Figure Skating (Olympic Channel or NBC Sports Network) live for the next few days with a few repeats (but not nearly as many as the US).  So we can see who our skaters will be facing and anyway it's lovely in its own right.  So ironic it's in Moscow this year.  Doesn't get more ironic than that.

It's on all day today, wish I could stay home and watch!

I'm confused about Russian participation in the Olympics -- some figure skaters will be allowed to skate but...are they skating for Russia or as neutrals?  Can they medal?  I've googled it a few ways and ended up more confused so clarity would be appreciated.

Right now I'm watching the men's.  Some nice costumes and music but it seems along with the US men that it's fashionable now for some men to dress like they're going to work in an office.

Then next week is the Four Continents and then on to the Olympics.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: European Skating Championships on now and this week

[ Edited ]

I am also watching - off and on.   I do enjoy the really good skaters!!  And feel sorry for those that aren't quite up to par. I know that the training for these events is long, intense and tiring!! 

Just don't think that the US has much of a chance for a medal.  Nathan is a good jumper, but he is not very artistic.  And Bradie is very athletic tenchnically, but so stiff and not too graceful. Good luck to all....

Honored Contributor

Nathan's a jumping jack.  He should be able to land countless quads, much less 5 of them. In between jumps, he's well...a bore.  But who cares?  He'll win the gold.  The US team is so crappy at skating, Nathan deserves a metal.  Might as well be the gold. 

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Nathan's a jumping jack.  He should be able to land countless quads, much less 5 of them. In between jumps, he's well...a bore.  But who cares?  He'll win the gold.  The US team is so crappy at skating, Nathan deserves a metal.  Might as well be the gold. 

------------------

Exactly!!  If the judges are looking for jumps, he'll do well.  But if they are looking for artistic skill and technique in actual skating....who knows....

Honored Contributor

If jumping skill is going to carry the day points-wise, I don't see anyone beating Nathan Chen.  The European men are having trouble completing even their triple jumps in the short program so far.  But I do enjoy the artistry of Javier Fernandez.

Honored Contributor

I'm watching and realize I need to refresh what all the country flags look like.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

If they medal, they will use the Olympic flag and play the Olympic anthem. Their uniforms will have a special insignia/logo. They will compete as "athletes" and not as "Russians." I assume if they attend the opening ceremony they will be using the Olympic flag. I thought there was another group who were going to compete as individuals and not part of a country as well. Here is the decree language: Athletes who had no previous drug violations and a consistent history of drug testing were to be allowed to compete under the Olympic Flag as an "Olympic Athlete from Russia" (OAR).[1][14] Under the terms of the decree, Russian government officials were barred from the Games, and neither the country's flag nor anthem would be present.[14] The Olympic Flag and Olympic Anthem will be used instead,[1] and on 20 December 2017 the IOC proposed an alternate logo for the uniforms (seen at right).[15] IOC President Thomas Bach said that "after following due process [the IOC] has issued proportional sanctions for this systematic manipulation while protecting the clean athletes."[16]
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35, thank you SO MUCH for clarifying that.  I was so confused.  I'm glad they can skate!  

@corita, I look at Bradie Tennell as a baby giraffe and I mean that in the best possible way.  She's cute, she's tall, she's getting her sea legs and setting herself up for 2022.

@deepwaterdotter, seriously.

@stevieb, the European men's costumes and music are soooooooo much better than the US.  Bad year for the US.  Still a few dressed like they're going to the office so it's a "thing."  Javier Fernandez's routine as Charlie Chaplin was especially lovely, love him.

But yup, they're not landing their jumps.  They are soooooooo much more beautiful than Chen.

Really looking forward after this to the Four Continents because I haven't been keeping up with Europe or China or Japan this year, too many distractions.

Honored Contributor

Men's short repeating now.

Women's short live 8:30-10:30 tomorrow morning.

12-2 is pairs fre skate and then they repeat the women's short.

Honored Contributor

Let's talk about Ryan Bradley.  WTHeck???

D Button was a bitter hen and Ryan is giving him a run for his money.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN