Contributor

Interesting. Might have to check it out.

Valued Contributor

Re: Escape To The Chateau!

[ Edited ]

Thanks for this information @Kachina624  about "Escape to the Country". I had never heard of it. Looking forward to watching it on Amazon Prime.

Frequent Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

...It has six seasons, I was searching to see if Netflix, Acron, Britbox carries it but supposedly it's not available for streaming as yet!

@Somertime I've been watching this series on PBS only but it is available for streaming on Peacock.  I plan to binge watch it some day when the timing is just right.  Really love the Strawbridges.

Honored Contributor

I just discovered this yesterday when I was searching for something different to watch!  I found 3 episodes on HGTV and that is all they seem to have.  The first one, where they find the place and buy it and the second one where they are renovating I think 5 rooms and get married and have their reception there.  I have not watched the 3rd yet.  I don't know why they don't seem to have any more episodes listed --- ???  This is really my cup of tea!  I love this sort of thing!  A lot of her style ideas are really off the wall and not to my liking, but that house or castle with the moat and gardens --- simply divine!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   It's on Saturday evenings at 8:00pm.  I, first watched it on PBS but it is no longer shown on their channel.  I guess HGTV purchased the rights.  You can find some episodes on youtube.  I find it fascinating.................Angel's vision amazes me and ******'s skills as an engineer and a chef are mind boggling.  The third episode is one of my favorites.......they install an elevator in one of the turrets and the choice of elevator they chose blew my mind.

It's a fun show and I give them so much credit to have the vision they do.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Escape To The Chateau!

[ Edited ]

I’ve been watching since it started on HGTV - had no idea this was discussed before and that it had SIX SEASONS!! I kind of assumed it was a one and done, like I assume Lorraine Bracco’s renovation show was. The husband really does seem to be able to do it all; they seem like a good pair and complement each other well.

What I don’t understand is where the money is coming from to renovate. They used pretty much everything they had on the beautiful chateau. If I remember correctly, they made a big deal about it. (If they hadn't, I would never comment about it.  But they did.) But, by the next episode, the renovation costs were already in the six figures. The occasional weekend guest or wedding can’t cover that, can it?

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I’ve been watching since it started on HGTV - had no idea this was discussed before and that it had SIX SEASONS!! I kind of assumed it was a one and done, like I assume Lorraine Bracco’s renovation show was. The husband really does seem to be able to do it all; they seem like a good pair and complement each other well.

What I don’t understand is where the money is coming from to renovate. They used pretty much everything they had on the beautiful chateau. If I remember correctly, they made a big deal about it. (If they hadn't, I would never comment about it.  But they did.) But, by the next episode, the renovation costs were already in the six figures. The occasional weekend guest or wedding can’t cover that, can it?

@Alter Ego  Just google for the answers. I saw they get paid for the rights for the show being on tv and the chateau is the hottest wedding venue in France. There are more answers. Those are the two I remember.

Trusted Contributor

I discovered this show this summer on our local PBS. Very enjoyable. The husband and wife are very creative and have incredible energy and perseverance. It's fascinating to see the progress and the end results as the old chateau comes back to life.

It's a nice mixture of renovation, DIY, crafts, collectibles and artistic innovation. Also a nice family show. The grandparents and kids add to the daily life as all the change is going on. I love the shopping trips to the nearby French towns, so it's atravel show, too. And the weddings and the food segments are fun, too.

I started towards the end of the series. I'm now watching the beginning on HGTV on Sat nights. My daughter who is an artist is also watching.

As for the finances I gather both parents are still working. Angel seems to still own a business (or two) and ****** goes away here and there on assignments. I also imagine the show generates an income for the couple.

A nice treat.

Esteemed Contributor
You’re probably all right about the finances; I just wish they hadn’t mentioned it in the first place. They made it seem like they were using their life savings on the purchase and only had 20,000 left for renovation. I usually don’t care - I just assume the homeowner can afford everything and don’t question it. It’s just the way they originally phrased it and then don’t bring it up again.

It seems like an amazing dream and I respect and am in awe of the people who could do this. But I know it would never be me - way too much work and upkeep! LOL Would rather just spend a night or two. 😊
Respected Contributor

Everytime I see the lady, I wonder how much upkeep is involved in her keeping her hair that super-duper bright pinky-orange hue!