Respected Contributor

Eric Braeden on The Talk 2/10/17

The Talk had Eric Braeden on today promoting his new book about his life.  For those of you who might have seen the show, what did you think about him?  

I've always loved watching him on Y&R.  The show wouldn't be the same without the notorious Victor Newman.    I know that he had a difficult time growing up in Germany during the war.  I guess I've always believed that is what gave him a stiff upper lip attitude on life.  

However after watching him today I just felt that he seemed a little arrogant and just a bit too full of himself.     Although he didn't mention it today, he did do an interview recently and made a thinly veiled reference to MM.   I don't know what went on between them but there was obviously bad blood.    I was a little put out by Eric Braeden feeling the need to bring up the subject of an actor who is no longer on the show.  

Obviously I'm a fan of MM and I never believed the story that went around as to why he was left go from Y&R.   I think EB carries a lot of weight and I think the dismissal of MM was done to possibly appease him and ease the tension around the set.

At any rate I feel that losing MM was a blow to the Y&R.    Although JH did a wonderful job in filling the role, the only true Adam Newman was MM.

Honored Contributor

Re: Eric Braeden on The Talk 2/10/17

I didn't get the same impression at all.  After all the years playing Victor it's difficult to seperate the person who he is from the arrogant character he plays.  I'm always surprised how funny he can be and how nice he seems.  As for what happened with MM how can we know enough to even speculate.  It's easy for an actor to spin a story saying one of the more popular actors didn't like him in an effort to try to save his career.  At the time there were a few others who coroborated the story that came out when he was let go.  None of us were there but it worked out fine for MM.     

Honored Contributor

Whatever went down back then it's been covered up better then national security secrets. LOL

'summer' knows. She's the one to talk to. Looks like one of her little girlfriends would had leaked it to the National Enq. or some place.

Yeah, after Michael Muhney left it started going into the crapper for me.

He was a mean character and could play Bates Motel. LOL Psycho, too.

He's looking pretty rugged and doesn't need the money he has his own and his sons family all set up for life. Grandkids have free education, etc.

(you tube video) probably time to think about stepping down. Painful to look at him nowdays. Don't want to be like poor Phoebe Wallingford over at AMC. Poor woman was weak and frail, wig was awful. She stayed to long at the fair.

I wouldn't want folks to see me looking like that.

All the kids on Y&R need to be fast forwarded. Victoria looks foolish with those little kids. Could be her grandkids. Faith, needs to be in high school and then she would have more to worry about then her dysfunctional mother and no job Father.

2smzzjkaUxpq.gif

Respected Contributor

I follow MM on Twitter and IG, from what he posts seems to be doing fine. I never really believed the story Hunter Hailey put out. As stated in this thread, MM obviously did or said something that prompted PTB to let him go. He is a good actor and seems to be doing well after YR. Think JustinH did an excellent job taking over the role after MM.
Honored Contributor

Does he give out any hints on coming back to the show?
Has he been approached ?

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl That's interesting that you'd say that (about the arrogance) because I just listened to a long interview he did with Larry Flick of EW Weekly (Satellite Radio) and he wasn't like that at all.  He was gracious and very kind and thankful for everything that had happened to him in his life.  He gave credit to the woman who'd written the book (he dictated it and she wrote the book).  He spoke very highly of the wonderful people he works with.  He wasn't very happy about the continuous change of writers but said they are all good, it's just that some know the characters better than others.  He said new writers sometimes try to change the character of Victor a little too much and he's very protective of Victor because the character has been good to him over the years.

He talked about how much harder it is to be on daytime TV on a soap and quoted the number of pages he has to learn, versus the amount if he was making a move (very few) and not nearly as many in making night time TV.  

I was very impressed with him.  He told the interviewer (Larry Flick) he was very impressed with the questions he'd asked him (he felt like they were 'different' and thoughtful.

Maybe it was who he was with, maybe it was the time of day, I don't know, but I do know the interview I heard was the total opposite of what you heard.

Right before him (surprisingly) Eileen Davidson of Y&R had been interviewed by Mr. Flick (EW Weekly Satellite radio).  They were there for different reasons promoting different things.  The station probably just put their interviews today back to back to fill time.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE Eric Braden hasn't left the show.  He's Victor (the father/mustache) on the show.  He intends to be on there for as long as he can because he said he loves the show and the people on the show.

He is promoting his book, maybe that's why he hasn't been on there as much lately.

He said he loves to talk about 2 things, sports and politics and is very outspoken about both (politics (his) is very different from most celebrities (if you get the drift).  He talked about Tom Brady and how much he respected him and talked about Tom Brady's time in college and how no one knew how good he was and his Dad brought his talents to light.

Honored Contributor

Interesting you guys should be discussing Eric Braeden.  I haven't seen him at his current age, but I love vintage TV and just saw him on a youtube episode of the great detective series "Barnaby Jones".

If you google Barnaby Jones Season ! Episode 5 "Perchance to Kill",  you can see the very young Eric Braeden playing an affluent lawyer tryiing to outwit Barnaby Jones.

It's set in a tony neighborhood in suburban LA, early 70's.  Lots of cool Seventies decor and Braeden is fashionably decked out in turtleneck and safari jacket, etc. etc.  Groovy!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell He's making the 'rounds' promoting his book.  He was asked by Larry Flick why he was writing the book now and he said people kept telling him some might be interested in is story.  He talked briefly about coming over on the boat and he said he was around 18 I think he said.  He said he was an athlete and didn't smoke but there was a beautiful older woman on the ship and he wanted to impress her so he started smoking and he said it took him 20 years to be able to stop smoking.  Ha!

He kept saying he was so grateful for all he's been given in the country and what a wonderful country it is.  He was very thoughtful and articulate.  He was smug or rude or anything like that.  He did keep saying Victor is important to him and it is very difficult to be on a soap because of all of the lines that have to be memorized.  He said they go over them once and then they tape the show.

I love what I call 'back stories'.  Things like this.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I Annabellethecat wrote:

@SharkE Eric Braden hasn't left the show.  He's Victor (the father/mustache) on the show.  He intends to be on there for as long as he can because he said he loves the show and the people on the show.

He is promoting his book, maybe that's why he hasn't been on there as much lately.

He said he loves to talk about 2 things, sports and politics and is very outspoken about both (politics (his) is very different from most celebrities (if you get the drift).  He talked about Tom Brady and how much he respected him and talked about Tom Brady's time in college and how no one knew how good he was and his Dad brought his talents to light.

@Annabellethecat66, I believe @SharkE was asking the gal who follows MM on social media if he had indicated if/when he was returning, not EB.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!