Respected Contributor

For anyone interested, TCM is airing The Enchanted Cottage today at 12 p.m. eastern time. Stars Robert Young and Dorothy McGuire. Also has Spring Byington, Mildred Natwick and Herbert Marshall. It's a really good love story.

Honored Contributor

That it is, @catter70 --  very poignant and beautiful.

Trusted Contributor
love that movie!
Honored Contributor

yeah, good movie.

I thought he had committed suicide. Thought I remembered reading that.

I decided to check my facts before posting and this is what I found.

Young was married to Betty Henderson for 61 years from 1933 until her death in 1994. They had four daughters, Carol Proffitt, Barbara Beebe, Kathy Young, and Betty Lou Gleason. They also had six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

Despite his trademark portrayal of happy, well-adjusted characters, Young's bitterness toward Hollywood casting practices never diminished, and he suffered from depression and alcoholism, culminating in a suicide attempt in January 1991.[3] Later, he spoke candidly about his personal problems in an effort to encourage others to seek help. The Robert Young Community Mental Health Center is named after Young in honor of his work toward passage of the 708 Illinois Tax Referendum, which established a property tax to support mental health programs in his home state. The Center started in Rock Island, Illinois and now has sites in both Iowa and Illinois, as part of the Quad-City Metro Area.[4]

Young died of respiratory failure at his Westlake Village, California home on July 21, 1998, and is interred at Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale.[5]

He has three stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame; the stars are in the categories of film (located at 6933 Hollywood Blvd.), television (6358 Hollywood Blvd.), and radio (1660 Vine Street).[6]

Honored Contributor

wonder why he never wrote a book ? He starred with a lot of 'A' names.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Enchanted Cottage

[ Edited ]

Count me in as one who loves this movie! Loved Herbert Marshall and Dorothy McGuire as well as the superb undervalued actor, Robert Young! He never got the recognition nor the roles he truly deserved. He could play any type of role and put his unique stamp on it 

One of my favorites was "Lady Be Good"...watch for that movie he starred with Ann Sothern....great supporting cast in that one... Eleanor Powell, Red Skelton among others)...

I read that Herbert Marshall had lost his leg during World War I and wearing an artificial  leg never kept him from taking on excellent roles.  He had such a wonderful voice to listen to, so strong and deep (don't know if that is the word for it). 

Of course my DVR is all set! Enjoy this lovely movie! 

Esteemed Contributor

Such a sweet story.

Honored Contributor

You're always so insightful about acting and film, @TexasMom1 .  Love your comments about the indeed undervalued Robert Young, and the invariably excellent Herbert Marshall.

In "Crossfire",  Robert Ryan gets a lot of plaudits, and he deserves them.  But Robert Young, as the weary, shrewd, work-driven and self-sacrificing police captain investigating a particularly ugly murder, is absolutely tops! He catches my eye every time.  A quiet, 'non-showy', but very deep performance. 

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately our cable provider took this channel out of our line up so I can't see it today.  I believe I've seen this movie or parts of it. I looked up the bio. on Robrt Young. In real life he had 4 daughters 2 of whom are named Kathy and Betty. These were the names of his daughters on Father Knows Best.  i forgot about Marcus Welby. 

Respected Contributor

I never saw this.  It sounds good.  I'd watch it but we don't get TCM as one of our cable channels.  We have to pay extra for it.  Darn it!