Honored Contributor

Empire and Update on Smollett Status

From CNN online (see the entire story there):

"Empire" will return for a sixth season, but the same can't definitely be said for Jussie Smollett.

"By mutual agreement, the studio has negotiated an extension to Jussie Smollett's option for Season 6, but at this time there are no plans for the character of Jamal to return to 'Empire,'" Fox Entertainment and 20th Century Fox TV said in a joint statement.
That means the studio isn't including him in the series, but is leaving open the possibility of his return.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Empire and Update on Smollett Status

@Pearlee   It makes no sense to me. They negotiated leaving the option for him to return for season six open but yet he’s not coming back? What am I missing?

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee Maybe the character might return, hiring a different actor and not Smollett.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Pearlee   It makes no sense to me. They negotiated leaving the option for him to return for season six open but yet he’s not coming back? What am I missing?

@NicksmomESQ   Take a look at the entire article on the CNN site, which also contains this statement:  " Last week, in an appearance on  "Good Day New York,"  series creator Lee Daniels said Smollett's fate was still being considered

Esteemed Contributor

I have never seen the show nor did I even know who Smollett was!!  But, if they have him back on the show, he will be getting his reward for his hoax...more publicity and maybe more money!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee  I just read the article.Wow, It looks like they want him back but want to give the dust a chance to settle. He has some court matters to resolve etc. 

So the season will start without Jussie.If things work out in his favor they may write him in mid season. Sounds like Fox is playing both sides leaving all options open.

Trusted Contributor

It sounds to me like they are not going to include his character in this season, but I am thinking they are still paying Jussie Smolett in case the situation finally clears his name, and then they can write him back in. This way gives him money to not film, and keeps him in case they want to bring him back. Not sure if there are provisions for him to do other work outside the contract, but would think so.

I don't watch the show, but heard that ratings were down, so if it is renewed this year, that is not saying it will be back. Many people who hadn't watched may tune in, but I think more would have watched if Jussie had been back. I won't be surprised if this is the last season anyway.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

nothing

hoping it will just go away .  (not me ) production company

talented guy but he s**&&d himself with that 

Honored Contributor

I have watched the show since the beginning, honestly I wouldn't care if it had been cancelled. Since the beginning of this season we were shown a coffin with the suggestion a Lyon was inside it. They have been stringing us along all season, we still don't know who it is (possibly Andre).

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have watched the show since the beginning, honestly I wouldn't care if it had been cancelled. Since the beginning of this season we were shown a coffin with the suggestion a Lyon was inside it. They have been stringing us along all season, we still don't know who it is (possibly Andre).

Next week it is disclosed who is in the coffin.