Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN

I have not seen the show, but she beat some pretty strong competition.  Her series is on Netflix.  This is Regina King's 3rd emmy in about 5 years.  Clearly her colleagues she is very talented and she is.  I will now watch her series on Netflix.  

Honored Contributor

@culebra wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN

I have not seen the show, but she beat some pretty strong competition.  Her series is on Netflix.  This is Regina King's 3rd emmy in about 5 years.  Clearly her colleagues she is very talented and she is.  I will now watch her series on Netflix.  

@culebra. Yes she did, as every where I read they predicted Laura Dern for sure....Wow! I will have to check it out!

Respected Contributor

Re: Emmy Awards-spoilers

[ Edited ]

I love Michael Che, Colin Jost, Maya Rudolph and Fred Armiston, but have to admit their comedy fell flat (along with the "opening number").

Best moments were Betty White and Henry Winkler.

Drove me NUTS wondering who Alex Borstein's date was until I discovered he was Will Sasso!

'opening number""

Denise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@culebra wrote:

I was so happy also for Henry Winkler  It is hard to believe, though nominated, that he never won an award for that iconic character "The Fonz."  That omission was definitely a misstep by the television industry.  Even Winkler's leather moto jacket as "The Fonz" is in the Smithsonian Museum.  Congratulations Henry Winkler - well deserved!

I also thought it was nice of the other nominees to give him a standing ovation!

@culebra  But the jacket doesn't have anything to do with acting ability!  An Emmy award isn't given for being "iconic."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee  I may disagree with that. 

Star Trek got the Governor's Award this year after 52 years and while they've had their moments with certain shows and exceptional actors in their casts, that was one Emmy given for ICON status and about time too.  

Like Henry said, hang around long enough and they eventually have to recognize you at the table even if you're still a joke to a lot of people who just don't get it.    

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

It seemed like Regina King was so shocked to have won. Has anyone seen the show that she won for? I have always liked her as an actress, but have not seen this particular show.

@CANDLEQUEEN  I never saw the show she won for, but I've seen her in an ABC series that doesn't come on anymore. It was called American Crime. Did you watch that? I know she won at least one Emmy for the role she played in that show, maybe more. She's an excellent, very talented actress. She did seem shocked at her win last night.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee

I know that his jacket in the Smithsonian has nothing to do with his acting ability.  When you see Winkler not in character, you realize how well he portrayed the beyond cool "Fonzie".  I think he deserved an emmy back then for this portrayal of "The Fonz."  They nominated him three times for the "Fonzie" role. It was nice that his fellow nominees gave him a standing ovation.

Honored Contributor

I just adore Henry Winkler, so his win was one of my favorite parts.  He is such a sweet, kind, gentle, thoughtful man and you just can't not love this guy!

Also, of course, was the win for Criss.   I really didn't know him from anything different until Ryan Murphy's Gianni Versace piece in which he starred.  Also, Ramirez was pretty great as Versace.

It was interesting having a number of SNL peeps in the show.  Some of that was funny.  Some not so much and just felt like filler.  But they are a talented bunch.

I cannot remember what else made an impression on me.  I watched last night, semi-live.   I was surprised that it ended within about 30 seconds of the allotted time.  Just for the sake of expectation, I padded my recording by a whole hour at the end. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt  Darren Criss was amazing in Glee.  He did a guest spot and ended up becoming a regular he was so good.  Amazing voice too.  I wish I was able to see Versace.  I don't have most of the channels or services these shows are on.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@chickenbutt  Darren Criss was amazing in Glee.  He did a guest spot and ended up becoming a regular he was so good.  Amazing voice too.  I wish I was able to see Versace.  I don't have most of the channels or services these shows are on.

Thanks for the info!  Smiley Happy

He just knocked it out of the park with his portrayal of Cunanan, as the murderer of Versace and several others.  It was positively riveting and was what kept me watching the entire thing.

Like most, I knew the story.  But I wanted to see how Murphy handled it and when I saw Criss as Cunanan I was mesmerized.  I swear, he looked just like him and he portrayed his psychopathy with brilliance.   Congrats to him for a very well-deserved win.

Maybe it will (or is already?) be available to be viewed in another way.  If so, you might enjoy the performances.  Smiley Happy  I forgot how many episodes it was, but it was not a long mini-series.