Respected Contributor

Re: 'Elvis' movie official trailer

I love anything Elvis .....

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

There are lots of Elvis impersonators who look a lot like Elvis. This guy doesn't even resemble Elvis. Why him?? 

Denzel Washington, who had worked with Austin. He talked Baz Lurhmann into looking at him. A lot of the young "it" guys right now auditioned, including Miles Teller (Top Gun Maverick), Harry Styles, and Ansel Elgort (Tony in West Side Story).  Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

They played the preview at the Downton Abbey screening I attended last week.  I didn't think the actor playing Elvis looked or sounded like him at all.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline :  it's not the looks that are most important - it's capturing the essence of someone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy wrote:

@Judaline :  it's not the looks that are most important - it's capturing the essence of someone.

I captured Elvis' essence a loooooong time ago, and this guy doesn't have it.

Honored Contributor

I've seen the trailer  and don't think the actor looks much like Elvis.  Nevertheless, this is the 1st movie since the pandemic that entices me into a movie theater where I'll go to a matinee, socially distance myself, wear a mask, and enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

HBO Max will have the film on August 8th.

You can get a free trial via Hulu.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

There are lots of Elvis impersonators who look a lot like Elvis. This guy doesn't even resemble Elvis. Why him?? 

Denzel Washington, who had worked with Austin. He talked Baz Lurhmann into looking at him. A lot of the young "it" guys right now auditioned, including Miles Teller (Top Gun Maverick), Harry Styles, and Ansel Elgort (Tony in West Side Story).  Smiley Happy

from GQ:

"How did the 30-year-old beat countless other young actors to play Elvis? Why, with a little bit of luck—and an unprompted endorsement from his hero Denzel Washington."

https://www.gq.com/story/gq-hype-austin-butler

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Worldwide reviews are out and they're mostly good - especially for Butler's lead performance.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Came upon an even better trailer that shows more of Butler's portrayal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBDLRvjHVOY

*special alert to @Mz iMac and @patbz