Trusted Contributor

I watched "Elvis, That's the Way It Is" yesterday and what  never ceases to amaze me is what a magnificent voice he had. He could sing anything  and it was wonderful. I was only 8 years old when he became famous and while I always loved his songs, I never was a rabid fan. I just loved his voice.

Trusted Contributor

His silly movies, his voice, his music, his looks....I love everything about Elvis,

but if he had thrown one of those sweaty scarfs my way, I would

had let someone else catch it. Woman LOL

Elvis singing gospel is Elvis at his best, IMO.

Trusted Contributor

@yellowrose , Unfortunately, Elvis's movie career was guided for better or worse by Col. Tom Parker, who only saw $$$. Elvis wanted to do more seriously considered parts for his artistic desires and abilities.

Esteemed Contributor

So many on target posts!  Elvis was such a talented performer who changed the music industry forever.  Its so sad the full range of his talent was never realized because of his manager.  He was offered some good movie roles I think he would've been great in.

Surrounded by yes men who only cared about a paycheck, he died such a sad death.  I'll never forget him in that black leather outfit....wow!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Re: Elvis Slays Me Again

[ Edited ]

Several times I have tried to understand what anyone ever saw in him.    I am still surprised he was ever successful.  Oh well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

If you're only thinking of his crazy rock and roll songs, you might not be thinking of the music he started out with----------gospel singing as a young man growing up down South. 

Those songs really showcase his voice and talent, such as Amazing Grace and many others which live on to be played over and over today.

Too bad he got caught up with hangers-on who convinced him to go into music and movie areas where his looks were exploited more than his voice.

Honored Contributor

novamac,

...or his later recordings that were more than the typical rock and roll sound.  I am thinking of "Suspicious Minds."  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_RCvsiavuM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 

You're right.  Can't even count some of  his greatest hits that were not "rock n roll".

Honored Contributor

Elvis had one unbelievable voice!

Honored Contributor

Yes, Elvis's music had its roots in gospel and blues.  He made a lot of money from that.  Elvis had a great voice, he could really sing a song and make you feel. I love his early songs, "Don't" being one of my favorites.  It is  sad he was caught up in the world of drugs as so many great singers were and a loss fort the music world .Truly a legend, his music lives on.