Trusted Contributor

Elvis Slays Me Again

[ Edited ]

He never gets old! Sexiest and most talented performer EVER!  Just watched on TCM.

My heart is shattered!

Respected Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

He never gets old! Sexiest and most talented performer EVER!  Just watched on TCM.

My heart is shattered!

My friend and I had front row seats for one of his concerts. The charisma was unsettling. The feeling of being drawn to the stage was like a magnetic force. She caught a scarf which she cherishes to this day.

He was an original and such a loss.

Occasional Contributor

Enjoyed seeing him perform at Louisville, Ky in May the year he died in August. Just so thrilling! (The flashing lights & music before he appeared on stage!) We had good seats, but not front row! Screamed & had so much fun! He stumbled & slurred some of the words.We loved him! Knew he was sick.No way did I expect him to die so soon! Always an Elvis Fan!

Honored Contributor

Re: Elvis Slays Me Again

[ Edited ]

He was a brilliant performer.  

Those of us who were pre-teens when he first appeared on the scene took for granted all that he offered.  We experienced his growth, which did move in fits and starts.  

When he returned to live shows at the International Hotel in Las Vegas in 1969, he entered a rarefied league of entertainers.  With that four-week engagement, Elvis forever changed the nature of Las Vegas shows.  He also changed the world's view of him as an entertainer.

He was far more than a soulful hillbilly, as some would care to characterize him.  Elvis was extraordinary.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

My elvis story

He was in Buffalo NY...we saw him

Before end of the last song, we left and sped to a private air field.  In those days, there wasnt security like today. The field was surrounded by a chain link fence. Parked next to the fence was the Lisa Marie.

future hubby and I stood at the fence, waving.  We were the only ones there.The folks inside the plane waved back, and in a few minutes Elvis' car pulled up, he got out, and I screamed..you voice is so strong, loved your singing. He turned, looked right at me, and gave me a salute.  Up the steps to the plane, and they were off.

I saw the TCM production, but was struck by the private moments before the show.  Elvis was surrounded by "yes" men, hangers on.  They laughed a fake laugh at everything he said. It made me sad. Someone in that life position needed true friends and advisors, not laughing clowns.

Trusted Contributor

@On It , Your post is brilliant. I'm feeling it!

Trusted Contributor

@golding76 , Looking back, Elvis not only survived the "British invasion", but those guys were inspired by him greatly.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Growing up, I never fully appreciated Elvis, his songs or his voice.  I didn't go nuts over the Beatles, either, like my sister did.  I was much more a Beach Boys fan, and other singers whose 45 rpm. records I collected.

However, now, I am always awed by Presley's voice---best ever!-- and raw talent that he began showing so early in his own life.

He sure got messed up later in life, unfortunately.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I was fortunate to see Elvis in concert twice 🎶🎶

His July 4, 1976 concert in Tulsa was amazing especially on such a perfect evening.

Still makes me swoon 💃🏼💕

Respected Contributor

A true  giant, genius of a performer. Tremendous talent.

I forget what a fabulous voice and sense of humor he

had. The sex appeal, the charisma, so very handsome.... the loss.