Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

How are some people able to view this on the regular HBO?   I tried searching it and nothing comes up. 

@chickenbutt   You must not be searching correctly.  Go to HBO's online scheduler & you will see Elvis for 9:00p tonight (9/7-Wed)--HBO.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

How are some people able to view this on the regular HBO?   I tried searching it and nothing comes up. 

@chickenbutt   You must not be searching correctly.  Go to HBO's online scheduler & you will see Elvis for 9:00p tonight (9/7-Wed)--HBO.

Yup, there it is!  Thanks so much!  Smiley Happy   I don't know why the search gave me nothing earlier.    I see several airings.  Had to choose one for next Monday, since my Wednesday recordings are using all 4 tuners at that time tonight.

Frequent Contributor

Thought the Elvis movie was outstanding. The acting by superb by both the young man playing Elvis, and Tom Hanks as the Colonel. Such a  sad outcome for such a gifted artist. Saw him in 1956 and 1973 in concert, and there is and was no other like him. He could sing gospel, love songs, rock and roll, any kind and make it sound terrific. His voice was iconic, and there has never been an artist that could hold a candle to his talent. Gone way too soon at 40 years of age, too many enablers that helped destroy him. But his music will live on forever.

Honored Contributor

I finally watched this (recorded from an airing on HBO) today.  Wow!  

Quite a few things, but one thing is that it just made me so sad.  I guess that was mostly toward the end.  

I happened to be looking some stuff up and didn't realize (or remember - who knows!) that the entire movie was made in Australia.  They even made 'Graceland' sets there.  I thought some of it looked differently than what I saw when I visited Graceland, so now that makes sense.

Austin Butler - Just wow!   With that black hair, especially a little later on with the sideburns, like in the part they did for the '68 Comeback Special with him in the black leather jacket and pants.  WOWOWOWOW!!   

So s e x y!!

There were some quick shots where I swear I was looking at Elvis.  Elvis AND Austin as Elvis are both so  -  *sigh*  just wow.  💖

Even though the recording was 2 hours 45 min, it was essentially 2.5 hours long.   

The other thing that makes me sad is that I've been looking for my massive library of Graceland pics and cannot find them.  While touring, I took so many pics!     

I don't recall ever knowing about the Tom Parker stuff, in that he was really taking advantage and ripping him off.   Hanks did a good job, as he always does.  

Honored Contributor

We have also toured Graceland, loved being on his plane, Lisa Marie and seeing the graves for him and his family n the back yard. All the memorabilia in the basement were fab too. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I finally watched this (recorded from an airing on HBO) today.  Wow!  

Quite a few things, but one thing is that it just made me so sad.  I guess that was mostly toward the end.  

I happened to be looking some stuff up and didn't realize (or remember - who knows!) that the entire movie was made in Australia.  They even made 'Graceland' sets there.  I thought some of it looked differently than what I saw when I visited Graceland, so now that makes sense.

Austin Butler - Just wow!   With that black hair, especially a little later on with the sideburns, like in the part they did for the '68 Comeback Special with him in the black leather jacket and pants.  WOWOWOWOW!!   

So s e x y!!

There were some quick shots where I swear I was looking at Elvis.  Elvis AND Austin as Elvis are both so  -  *sigh*  just wow.  💖

Even though the recording was 2 hours 45 min, it was essentially 2.5 hours long.   

The other thing that makes me sad is that I've been looking for my massive library of Graceland pics and cannot find them.  While touring, I took so many pics!     

I don't recall ever knowing about the Tom Parker stuff, in that he was really taking advantage and ripping him off.   Hanks did a good job, as he always does.  

@chickenbutt The summer I was going into the tenth grade (1969) I went with a friend to visit another friend who had moved to Memphis with her family the year before.  Her mother offered to drive us past Graceland so we said okay just to see it....we weren't really big Elvis fans at the time but I thought that it would be fun to see Graceland.

Of course Elvis was still alive then.  From what I remember it was not a build up area.  The house was off a two lane road and it had the famous gates out front with the musical notes on them. We stopped to pose and take photos in front of those gates....no one else was around!  No other fans but there was a man in the inside of the fence. 

My friend's mom started talking to him (flirting) and he let us in to sit on a golf cart and take an outside tour of the property.  At the time the only building from what I can remember was the main house (there might have been a barn too).  There was a fenced in area with some horses.

We thought that it was pretty funny that my friend's mom was flirting with one of Elvis' staff and laughed the whole time we were getting our private tour....such fun memories.

Sad today that I found out from FB that my old friend's mom just recently passed.

Respected Contributor

Just finished the movie.  At the end, when Priscilla was in the car saying goodbye and trying to get him into rehab, I just started crying as the story was so sad.

I saw him on TV when I was very young and his music was part of my life for many years.  The movie also highlighted the assassination of MLK and RFK which brought back such sad, dark times.  This wonderful, talented performer's life went wrong in so many ways.  He died so young at 42.

I am so happy I was able to see him perform live in 1975 as he did a wonderful show.

I was totally involved in the movie and it did not seem long to me at all.  Austin Butler's performance was wonderful as was hearing so many of his songs. 

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Me again!  Smiley Happy

I just happened across another airing of the movie on an HBO channel and I just couldn't look away.

One thing that I didn't really fully appreciate the first time was how amazingly Butler does Elvis' speaking voice.  Not just his singing voice, but speaking!  It's beyond perfect.

The movie was nearly half way in but I got to catch (again!) my favorite part - when he did the '68 Comeback Special.  Oh my goodness, my heart was racing.  The hair and sideburns and that black leather outfit.  *swoon*

I'm really not even a 'sideburns girl', but Elvis in sideburns was just a beauty to behold.

Sometimes, in a side shot I swear I was looking at Elvis.

Ok, thanks for listening or not, that's ok too.   But if anybody still hasn't seen it, it's still out there.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Excellent movie.  Great acting.  

Honored Contributor

I had recorded this movie when it was free on HBO.  Took me 4 nights to get through it.  Too long and glad I didn't pay to watch it.  More a movie about Col Tom than Elvis.  The only time it came alive was during the musical numbers.  IMO, neither the film nor the actor portraying Elvis, although good, deserve an Oscar nomination.  

I didn't realize that the director was the same one who directed Moulin Rouge, another movie I could not get through.