Valued Contributor

I watched the Ellen show today. It amazes me that Kylie Jenner is a billionaire! I have never seen her cosmetics line even advertized in my area. I think she's only 22 yrs old.  

Honored Contributor

Good for her!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I'm not surprised at all.  That family has a lot of connections when it comes to widespread publicity and good marketing.  Not to mention all of their followers to begin with. 

If Kylie had come from an ordinary middle class family with no connections and tried to start a cosmetics company I'm sure the outcome would be much different.

Super Contributor

I read this online and was shocked to see that she's the youngest but is worth the most. I've never seen her cosmetic line anywhere. I guess you can order it onlne? I think with her being so young she's hitting a great target age. Girls in their teens and 20's. She's not only in to make up but she has a hair line too. I really hope she invests her money well. A billion is an awful lot of money but if her line stops selling she'll have no more income.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ellen show Kylie Jenner

[ Edited ]

KJ made most of her money through using social media...the hub of millennial communication, not to mention the generation with the largest population which would account for much of the sales. She doesn't advertise by area...she's got the entire world via internet.

Respected Contributor

@Remar wrote:

I read this online and was shocked to see that she's the youngest but is worth the most. I've never seen her cosmetic line anywhere. I guess you can order it onlne? I think with her being so young she's hitting a great target age. Girls in their teens and 20's. She's not only in to make up but she has a hair line too. I really hope she invests her money well. A billion is an awful lot of money but if her line stops selling she'll have no more income.

She is a billionaire...if her line stops tomorrow, she  her kids and her grandkids will never have to work

Honored Contributor

Re: Ellen show Kylie Jenner

[ Edited ]

Kylie Cosmetics is sold at Ulta (partially).

I believe she announced this...last Fallish...it’s been awhile.

They’ve been there for a while..not the entire line but 49 products,

mostly lip kits (just checked website). 

It’s really genius, if you think about it.

She owns the product, she owns the marketing, she is the model &

face of the brand who does all the advertising...it’s all her.  

Of course, it’s a business who has foundational people in every 

area of a successful business (goes without saying), but for the 

better part...it’s all her. 

Respected Contributor

I will learn to make my own make-up before I spend a cent on that family.

Honored Contributor

She owes it all to the power of social media and the fact that teens will support their social media icons.  From what I can tell, she didn't really do anything except sign a contract to capitalize on her millions of followers and they supported her by buying the products.  She didn't develop anything, she never was and still isn't a beauty or skincare professional.  But she's raking the bucks.  In a way, it was like hitting the lotter for her.