Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I only watch her on occasion.  She has a very bad reputation for being a "diva", insulting others and especially nasty to work for.  On the plus side if she likes you, she's really great to be interviewed and she treats her workers ell.  It seems to be one or others.  There is no in between.  Just her personality.   She seems to be aware of it, just doesn't really care. 

@songbird   Yes!  Simular to Oprah... if she loves you  it is wonderful and you could do no wrong... if you get on her bad side WATCH OUT FOR THE WRATH OF OPRAH AND ELLEN.

Respected Contributor

@lkat wrote:

I think someone could post about Mother Teresa on this board and half the comments would still be mean and judgemental.  

Yes, there are a lot of people here who seem to thrive on tearing others down. 

Ellen definitely has snarky humor, but it's very dry. It's nothing new. And there are segments of her talk show that I like. As for the game show, I'm not a fan of primetime game shows, but the constestants clearly know what's in store when they sign up to participate so they're not victims by any means. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@songbird wrote:

I only watch her on occasion.  She has a very bad reputation for being a "diva", insulting others and especially nasty to work for.  On the plus side if she likes you, she's really great to be interviewed and she treats her workers ell.  It seems to be one or others.  There is no in between.  Just her personality.   She seems to be aware of it, just doesn't really care. 

@songbird   Yes!  Simular to Oprah... if she loves you  it is wonderful and you could do no wrong... if you get on her bad side WATCH OUT FOR THE WRATH OF OPRAH AND ELLEN.

LOL!  And you've experienced this personally?  Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

In my opinion I thimk Ellen has mental problems, and she is just plain weird. She looks  stranger by the day.  and  "She will be suprised one day when they cancell her, she'll be broke yet again.

Really? But it's Ellen that's cruel?  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

She will be suprised one day when they cancell her, she'll be broke yet again.

There is no basis at all for this.

First, her ratings are very good and have been for a long time.  She wouldn't have a game show - in addition to her 5-day-a-week talk show -  if she didn't consistently score high with viewers.

And many of her guests don't appear on other talk shows, but gladly agree to appear on hers.  Networks like that.  Sponsors like that.  Advertising dollars are what makes the world of television go round.

So the chances of her talk show being cancelled are extremely small.

Second, she would never be caught off-guard and surprised.  That's not the way it works for someone like Ellen, who is hands-on involved.  And cancellations in television rarely come completely out of the blue with no warning.

Third, she likely will never be broke.  I have no personal knowledge of her investments, etc, but she owns quite a bit of property and undoubtedly has invested well otherwise too.

It's pretty clear from your posts that you don't know her and that you're also completely unfamiliar with the television industry.  It's also clear that you don't like her, and that of course is your prerogative.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if it was mentioned, because I didn't read this entire thread, but Portia wants her to retire next year. Time will tell if she does.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I understand some of you don't like Ellen. However, she does a lot of nice things for other people

She certainly made a big difference ,to an inner city school in Detroit..I just want to show that there is a side to her that people  are  not discussing

A few of us have posted about the charitable things that she does.  I think I mentioned in a post yesterday that she doesn't contribute just money, but also a lot of her time.  And most of what she does isn't publicized, which I think was mentioned by others here also.  She's not about fame & glory, and she never has been.

But those who don't like her aren't going to care about that.  They'll continue to call her sadistic and mean and mentally ill and all kinds of other things.  All based on never having spent even one moment with her.  

Esteemed Contributor

Pretty much like any celeb on TV we form opinions and based on that we like them or don't.   Like in real life, there are people I love but have friends who don't like them.  Some people just rub people the wrong way.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

Pretty much like any celeb on TV we form opinions and based on that we like them or don't.   Like in real life, there are people I love but have friends who don't like them.  Some people just rub people the wrong way.  

Yes, that's certainly true.  But a lot of comments here go WAY above and beyond that.  

Honored Contributor

She may be a wonderful, charitable, giving person, but I find it odd that such a person chooses ways to demean people in the name of entertainment.  I realize participation is voluntary.  I just feel that there are way better forms of entertainment that she can provide.