Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I only watch her on occasion.  She has a very bad reputation for being a "diva", insulting others and especially nasty to work for.  On the plus side if she likes you, she's really great to be interviewed and she treats her workers ell.  It seems to be one or others.  There is no in between.  Just her personality.   She seems to be aware of it, just doesn't really care. 

And you know all this because...???  You talk like you know her personally and well!!!

Honored Contributor
  • I never got into her persona or schtick. 
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@songbird wrote:

I only watch her on occasion.  She has a very bad reputation for being a "diva", insulting others and especially nasty to work for.  On the plus side if she likes you, she's really great to be interviewed and she treats her workers ell.  It seems to be one or others.  There is no in between.  Just her personality.   She seems to be aware of it, just doesn't really care. 

And you know all this because...???  You talk like you know her personally and well!!!

@Pook- My thoughts exactly.  There seem to be a lot of psychiatrists on these boards who can analyze someone's personality and mindset from a few snippets on TV and a lot of tabloid articles.  Oh and a lot of "I have a friend" hearsay.  A talent I am sadly lacking.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@pdxlalesley wrote:

I think so too.  I have not wayched her game show but have seen promotional video previews, she seems to delight in the knowledge of what will happen unpleasantly, to the game players---all at the touch of her button/handle.

Seems kind of sadistic.  Not my thing, but a lot of people enjoy her.

I think people that enjoy this have to have the same sadistic sense of humor as Ellen has... nothing wrong with that... if you enjoy that.  Watching people squrim and jump with fear I guess is funny to some.

@SeaMaiden- Accusing someone who enjoys her shows (or her) of being sadistic is a very strong claim.  Perhaps you need to look up the definition of sadistic.  There are sadistic, evil people in this world.  Those who enjoy a game or talk show are not in the same class.

Just because others have a different viewpoint, doesn't make it okay to accuse them of that.

Respected Contributor

Stopped watching her.  Too shallow s are her quests

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

She seems like a deeply troubled  person to me with lots of unresolved issues. I feel as if she is wearing a mask and isn't sure who she is. 

We're all entitled to our opinions, but I have worked with Ellen (and socialized with her and Portia many times).  They are a beautiful, loving couple, and Ellen has always been very kind.  Off-camera she's actually quite humble.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that she's "deeply troubled".  Since coming out, and then sharing her life with Portia, she is more happy and centered than ever before.  So I feel the exact opposite of what you posted - It certainly seems to me that now she is very sure of who she is.

I'm really shocked at all the negative posts here about her.  She's sweet, she's fun, and if her kind of humor doesn't appeal to people, that's fine.  But calling her sadistic, cruel, etc, is over-the-top, IMO, and not warranted at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@DREAMON wrote:

I know someone who works for her occasionally and this person said she is very difficult, demanding, and not kind at all. 

She should practice what she preaches.

That's odd because my son knows someone who works for her and he claims she is the salt of the earth. In addition, she doesn't publicize a lot of the good deeds she does like helping the homeless and their families.

Just goes to show it all depends on who you ask...

I know several people who have worked for her (some still do), and none of them have ever complained or said anything negative about her.  My experiences with her have all been good too - She's professional and prepared, not critical or difficult or mean at all.  I've seen the way she treats people - staff, strangers, everyone.  So I choose to go by what I've seen over and over again with my own eyes.

And yes, she's very generous to charities - not just with her money but also with her time.  A lot of the good that she does is done privately.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

She seems like a deeply troubled  person to me with lots of unresolved issues. I feel as if she is wearing a mask and isn't sure who she is. 

We're all entitled to our opinions, but I have worked with Ellen (and socialized with her and Portia many times).  They are a beautiful, loving couple, and Ellen has always been very kind.  Off-camera she's actually quite humble.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that she's "deeply troubled".  Since coming out, and then sharing her life with Portia, she is more happy and centered than ever before.  So I feel the exact opposite of what you posted - It certainly seems to me that now she is very sure of who she is.

I'm really shocked at all the negative posts here about her.  She's sweet, she's fun, and if her kind of humor doesn't appeal to people, that's fine.  But calling her sadistic, cruel, etc, is over-the-top, IMO, and not warranted at all.

Good to read exactly what my son heard from his close friend. Ellen is good peeps..

The worst post in this thread was thankfully removed but there does seem to be a general disdain for Ellen. 

Honored Contributor

Come on, everyone knows what they are getting into! How sick is that to begin with. I was never a ED fan and JMO, but her shows do not practice what she preaches.People always want to have it both ways.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Exactly!

If "she has a very bad reputation for being a diva", I certainly haven't heard that, and I've worked in television for decades.  Her reputation is just fine.

There is no way she's "especially nasty to work for".  That's flat-out not true.  I have no  idea what the source is for any of this, but it's nothing more than unfounded gossip.  People who know her know the truth.