Respected Contributor

I sometimes watch her opening or if she has a guest of interest to me on . In our location she follows Dr. Oz which I usually have on. I have to say I agree with you @Vivian lately . There have been game shows that do things like that as long as I remember , but not my taste for 'entertainment'. 

Honored Contributor

I thought this was interesing. This is a necklace from the Ellen DeGeneres collection.

ED On Air Vintage Holiday Phrase Garland by Ellen DeGeneres - H206908

Respected Contributor

Cruel...not in the least. That is over the top.  Have watched Ellen's game of games show since it started. She is having fun and so are the contestants, as am I watching it. They know exactly what to expect while being a contestant. Haven't seen anyone get hurt, embarrassed or degraded.  Don't get to watch her day time show, but on the commericials for it I do see people dressed up in costumes popping out of the box scaring guests. They too know what to expect from Ellen's show. Nothing new there. So, are we to stop the dinosaur picture taking stations at Universal now. The large raptor"puppets" stay still til you get close to take a picture and then roar and move to scare you. What about fun houses at Halloween? The list goes on and on. ellen cruel, nah.

Esteemed Contributor

Have never liked Ellen and do not watch any of the shows she is on.  There is just something about her that rubs me the wrong way.  Another poster mentioned "phony".  Maybe that's it.  It shows to me and I am a pretty good judge of character.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ellen seems cruel

[ Edited ]

To be fair, some Japanese game shows are like Ellen's: loud, crazy, and humiliating to the contestants.  The shows are wildly popular so maybe it's a cultural thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

She seems like a deeply troubled  person to me with lots of unresolved issues. I feel as if she is wearing a mask and isn't sure who she is. 

@RetRN  I just posted before I read yours.  Yes, you hit the nail on the head.  I couldn't explain it in my post.

Trusted Contributor

I know that there are other games where contestants do physically challenging/stupid things but I don't like to watch them. I agree that Ellen seems to take paticular glee in pushing the button and making them fall or whatever (only going by the TV commercials since I don't watch). I just don't think the idea of messing with anyone's head is funny. Period. Even if they know it is coming, just the thought of enjoying making someone uncomfortable as a sport leaves me cold. I have noticed this about Ellen for a long time and haven't watched her show in many years.

When she first started, she seemed to truly be enjoying her rise to fame and appeared to be nicer. But, the same thing happened to Rosie and Oprah - they believed their own publicity and it seemed to me that their true personas were exposed.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@DREAMON wrote:

I know someone who works for her occasionally and this person said she is very difficult, demanding, and not kind at all. 

She should practice what she preaches.

That's odd because my son knows someone who works for her and he claims she is the salt of the earth. In addition, she doesn't publicize a lot of the good deeds she does like helping the homeless and their families.

Just goes to show it all depends on who you ask...

@Trinity11 ,

Very true...depends on in what capacity you are working for the person, their mood that day, if they want to be there, etc.

The person I know works in a State where she does interviews etc. ..preparing for photo shoots and interviews...Beauty Industry.

Honored Contributor

@pdxlalesley wrote:

I think so too.  I have not wayched her game show but have seen promotional video previews, she seems to delight in the knowledge of what will happen unpleasantly, to the game players---all at the touch of her button/handle.

Seems kind of sadistic.  Not my thing, but a lot of people enjoy her.

I think people that enjoy this have to have the same sadistic sense of humor as Ellen has... nothing wrong with that... if you enjoy that.  Watching people squrim and jump with fear I guess is funny to some.

Trusted Contributor

When her talk show first started, I watched it haven't watched it in a long time.  I agree there is something about her that  leads me to believe she isn't as nice as portrayed (how many other celebrities are also like that.)