Super Contributor

Some of these comments are the only thing I see as actually cruel.  Yes, Ellen has wry humor, but some of you may have forgotten she started out as a standup comedian.  It's just her comedic style. I understand not liking her type of humor, but to so harshly criticize her basic personality and humanity is the only cruelty I see. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just so happens I saw the guy I know who worked with Ellen last night. He was telling me she recommended him for a job. I said I thought you didn’t care for her, he said tactfully because a few people were near us that his complaint was she never had a course in boss management. She doesn’t know who she works for as a boss and who she works with as an equal. She also needs to learn “scold in private, praise in public. Just a tidbit , take it for what it is worth.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ellen seems cruel

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette wrote:

She may be a wonderful, charitable, giving person, but I find it odd that such a person chooses ways to demean people in the name of entertainment.  I realize participation is voluntary.  I just feel that there are way better forms of entertainment that she can provide.

If the people choose to participate, then they don't see it as demeaning.  And they do choose to do it.  Lots of people love that kind of stuff. (That's why there are haunted houses and scary carnival rides, etc.)  She plays up her gleeful role because it's part of that kind of entertainment.  If her audiences hated it, she wouldn't be doing it.

The vast majority of what she does in the way of entertainment has nothing to do with games or having scary things jump out.  Ellen is about SO much more than any of that.  So - to address your point - she DOES provide way better forms of entertainment.  For the majority of the time that she's on-air every day.

(I'm not trying to change anyone's minds or talk anyone into liking her.  But I do think there should be some balance here.  Not everyone enjoys the same kind of humor or the same kind of entertainment, and that's fine.  Even though I'm not a fan of scary movies or anything scary at all, I still think that what Ellen does is pretty harmless.)

Respected Contributor

I don’t think she is cruel. I think she is stupid,

Back in the day, she was OK.

Got a good laugh once in awhile.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have seen her shows in the past, not a fan of her and/or her brand of humor.... Did not know she hosted a game show, have not seen it and no desire to see it!

Honored Contributor

I was going to start a thread on this weeks ago, but after getting creamed for comparing Bel Gravelle to Louis Del Olio, I thought I better not.  That show really bothers me, scaring the wits out of someone, even a volunteer, really bothers me.  I also wonder how many injuries they chalk up on these insane shows.   

Respected Contributor

I’ve never seen her show. I hate those chatty daytime shows. Just me!

Trusted Contributor

I do not get that from her at all.  If I am home, I watch her talk show.  The Game of Games seems to have fun games to play.  

Honored Contributor

I watch her game show and I think it's hilarious. The people participating aren't forced, they sign up for it. They all seem to be having a good time.  They are laughing and carrying on.  I never have seen anyone crying, upset, mad at Ellen, etc.    

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

To be fair, some Japanese game shows are like Ellen's: loud, crazy, and humiliating to the contestants.  The shows are wildly popular so maybe it's a cultural thing.

@ValuSkr- a cultural thing? Has Ellen turned Japanese? I must have missed that somewhere along the way.

I like Ellen and although I don't watch her very often, I'm going along with @. She knows her personally and has only good things to say about her.

And as far as when she was on QVC, I thought she was absolutely hysterical. She did her demonstrating all by herself and I was falling off the chair laughing. Funny lady.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett