Esteemed Contributor

This may have come up before but, watching Ellen’s daytime show as well as glimpsing her evening game show program, I’m left with the impression that Ellen’s humor is derived from hurting, embarrassing, sliming, and degrading others. I no longer watch.  Perhaps she is trying to erase her goody-two-shoes image. Clearly there are plenty of fans who are willing to subject themselves to punishment. For me, however, there is something cruel and sadistic about it.

Honored Contributor

She's been doing those types of games for as long as I can remember.  She seems to enjoy making fun of others.....having them make fools out of themselves.  I stopped watching her a long time ago. Not my idea of entertainment.

Esteemed Contributor

I think people just want attention. Any kind of attention. If they need to be punished or degraded maybe that’s OK…as long as they’re noticed. Maybe Ellen knows that and is just doing what she can to help. 😉

I never watch.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Never cared for her or her show, even though we share the same first name Smiley Happy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@Vivian: I agree.  

Valued Contributor

I have always had a kind of "wince" when she does some of her pranks. It's not funny if someone feels an ouch in it.

That being said, comedy has had a bite to it down through time. Don Rickles, Groucho Marx, all the roasts by whoever. 

Joan Rivers said many times you make fun of something that hurts or it owns you. I guess, but it's just not for me.

I suppose as a kid that got bullied, it was never funny to be picked on. I don't enjoy humor that hurts someone's feelings. 

There's just some topics that I think should be left alone, and if you see that a joke hits a sore spot don't follow it up with another of the same.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian   There is more than one write up about Ellen not being SO NICE to every one ....here is just one

https://www.lifeandstylemag.com/posts/ellen-degeneres-mean-151450/

Honored Contributor

I've never watched the game show, but have never seeen cruelty or debasement on her talk show.  I have have a thought as to why that attitude apys off, but that's for another day.

Honored Contributor

I watch her talk show from time to time.  I have not seen her be cruel or mean or any of things any time that I watched the show.  I have not seen her game show but the contestants who appear on that show surely know what's in store for them and honestly, I doubt that it's anything like what OP is saying.  It's supposed to be funny and just all the sitcoms out there, comedy comes from laughing at or poking fun at people.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree 

Her nighttime show is a cruel game show not a sitcom

@chrystaltree wrote:

I watch her talk show from time to time.  I have not seen her be cruel or mean or any of things any time that I watched the show.  I have not seen her game show but the contestants who appear on that show surely know what's in store for them and honestly, I doubt that it's anything like what OP is saying.  It's supposed to be funny and just all the sitcoms out there, comedy comes from laughing at or poking fun at people.  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.