Honored Contributor

Re: Elizabeth Taylor, "Conspirator" TCM Tuesday, 5:00 p.m. Eastern

Oh, February was her birthday--- I should have known.  Thanks, @Shelbelle.

Respected Contributor

Elizabeth Taylor month. Will be watching. She is one of my favorites. She was a beautiful woman. Her children are very private people. No interviews ever. I give them credit for that. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's true, @Catiele.  As far as I know, there's been none of that "Mommie Dearest" info from them.  They seem to have adored her, and she them.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of her offspring, it turns out one granddaughter, at least, has discussed her grandmother.  She'ls Naomi de Luce Wilding, daughter of Taylor's oldest son Michael Wilding.  Naomi Wilding grew up mostly in Wales, but loved visitng (who wouldn't!) and felt close to her grandmother.  To me, Naomi looks exactly like her father, Michael:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2602699/She-just-granny-Elizabeth-Taylors-granddaughter-op...

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisherwrote:

This afternoon I watched a movie called Cynthia. I'd never seen it. Elizabeth Taylor was only 15 years old. I enjoyed it!

She was also 15 when she made A DATE WITH JUDY. I took my nic from this movie as I was a huge Jane Powell fan once.(when I was a mere child, lol) Not a Taylor fan! Don't send me hate mail, hahaha. I just never was. I enjoyed your clip @Oznell and I am going to record the movie. Looks like a good one. She was so much prettier with longish hair, but I don't think she ever knew it. May have been The Sandpiper she had longer hair or the other movie I can't think of right now. Robert Taylor. Why does he always look so troubled? Sinister? That's why I don't like his movies. But this one looks good and has escaped me till now. A fine actor, another one died too soon. Taylor and Taylor, together again for the first time!

Honored Contributor

You know, you got me thinking, @Judaline.  I'm not such a hyper-fan of Taylor as an actress, either.  My top faves don't really include her.  But years ago I got interested in her epic jewelry collection, along with other great collectors like Merle Oberon, Paulette Goddard, etc.

So I began to see her as this exquisite background for those crazy jewels.  The young Taylor is so incredible on camera, still photos or motion picture.  That beauty is almost other-worldly, and has been since she was a child.

Unlike you though, I love her in short hair.  Those dark curls or waves just fan out and frame so perfectly that little oval face-- I thought the stages where she had long hair weren't quite so becoming....  But really, there wasn't much that could make her look "bad" in her peak years, ha.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought this movie several years for Robert Taylor (love him!) as well as the topic of fellow-travellers and traitors. 

I really like Elizabeth Taylor in this movie- I think she showed a lot of nuances with her unwillingness to believe and then coming to realize the truth about her husband. 

As many of you have mentioned the styles are wonderful too. I liked the short do on ET, frames her face nicely. 

Honored Contributor

@trenet, I love that "fellow travellers and traitors" genre that you cleverly coined, too!

What other ones do you like?  Maybe my favorite "Cold War" parable is the film noir, "Kiss Me Deadly", not strictly a fellow traveller movie, but the theme is close...

Let's see-- I liked Hitchcock's "Torn Curtain",  where Paul Newman supposedly defects to the Soviet Union.  There's one from the Fifties about a Soviet-loyal Communist masquerading himself in the U.S  that I remember liking, but can't conjure up!

Would love it if you can point me in the direction of some more...

Honored Contributor

She’s so beautiful and talented too. Watching Father of the Bride again. 

Esteemed Contributor

I can't think of an actress past or present more stunningly beautiful. !!!  Her face was just breathtaking !  she was a fabulous actress as well ,  I didn't realize just how many movies she did and all were so different as well .  From father of the Bride to Sandpiper.  I hated the beginning scene with  the boy killing the deer though.