Honored Contributor

Edward: THE Nazi King (NetFlix)

Using declassified FBI information, this documentary investigates the extent to which British King Edward sympathized with the Nazis. 2009 British TV 471BE48A00000578-0-image-a-4_1512725873756.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Edward: THE Nazi King (NetFlix)

His marrying Mrs. Simpson was the best thing that could have happened to Great Britain. He was a known Nazi sympathizer and I hate to think what would have happened had he actually served as king for life.

I've read tons about him and it was well known that he and his wife were friendly with Hitler.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately there were a lot of Nazi sympathizers at the time.  A friend of my Mother's who was from Germany grew up during this time and she said that he (Hitler) pulled the wool over the eyes of the German people and charmed everyone during this time (prior to WW2). 

As far as Prince Edward was concerned, he was charmed at the time as well.  Incidently, my Mother was a little girl at school when the Prince came to her school.  She remembers lining up and seeing him.  She said she was very surprised to find that he was a tiny man and impressed that he wore "day" coattails to speak in front of the children.  She always remembered that day.....   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

It was no secret that the Duke and Duchess were Hitler sympathizers, who visited Germany and met with Hitler. By the time Britain entered the war, they had to send the abdicated king and his wife to live in exile in Nassau. Many say he was hardly even literate, not a very bright man and definitely a man who should not have been king.

Honored Contributor

The tv series The Crown, did a whole episode about the ex-king Edward VIII Nazi dealings.  The series had the actual photographs & movie clips (which they showed) which were smuggled out of Germany & buried in the woods in Britian by a German soldier. 

When found by Americans & British soldiers, Britian decided to keep the matter hush hush.  Somehow, copies found their way to America (surprise surprise) to be made public by publishing in some newspaper.  That is when the British PM at the time decided to make it public to the British citizens & to notify the Queen.

They had to notify the Queen because Edward VIII wanted to return & live in England as well as a "job."  The Queen was seriously considering it until she viewed the photos showing Edward VIII smoozing w/the Nazi's.  Queen Elizabeth RE-BANISHED him back to Nassau. getout.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Excellent point!

Esteemed Contributor

I really like History and will watch it!