Honored Contributor

So, I did not watch the show when it premiered because the commercials were so cryptic.  I like to have some idea of the premise before I watch.  Then hubby told me he thought it was about ghost hunting so I decided to try an episode.  I'm gonna have to go back and watch at least the premier to figure out the characters I think.  At one point I thought it was some sort of comedy because it all just seemed weird.

If someone could explain one character to me.  The guy that used to be on Person of Interest.  He seems to be playing two parts, both of which seem to be associated with Satan, I guess thus the name of the show.  He seems to be both a real character, the former boss of the psychologist lady, but also seems to be in the black priest's head trying to make him think about sex.  Am I getting this right?  

Respected Contributor

Hi, @Icegoddess   I have seen all 3 episodes, and last night's was the tamest of them, i must say.  The first two episodes are far more disturbing with a character/hallucination/devil you have not yet seen named George.

But, to your question about Michael Emerson's character Leland Townsend, who is a forensic psychologist of the most lowly evil kind, it is strange when he pervades the thoughts of the Priest-in-training, as if actually physically present.  Who knows how that will pan out in later episodes.  There was and is talk of 60 evil entities wanting to do bad things on Earth, and this has yet to be fully developed. Leland Townsend may be 1 of those 60.  George may be yet another 1 of the 60, which would leave 58 to discover. 

Honored Contributor

A few years ago I think it was Fox that did The Exorcist for TV. The first season was pretty good and I had high hopes for the series. Unfortunately, the second season sucked and given neither season's ratings were exactly through the roof, it was cancelled. To me, that show had more promise than anything I'm currently seeing among network fare but as always seems to be the case, they took it in the wrong direction and poof, it was history.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

George may be yet another 1 of the 60, which would leave 58 to discover. 

Make that 57.........JOE

Leland Townsend is a demon.   A demon in human form or a human born evil whose only job is to attempt to turn humankind towards all things evil.  Like sending a 14 yr old to an adult prison to get raped.  After the 2nd rape, the boy would be "evil."

Leland "appers" in Davids mind to tempt him w/sex.  I noticed it's always the "human form" demon.  I would think David being a priest in training, the demon would appear in his/her original form.

Leland also knew David was going to have a 2nd vision days before he had it.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born I agree with your post.  I jumped when I first saw the demon!

I like scary movies, etc.  I don't care for gory (there is a vast difference in the two....(i.e. scary and gory).  In my opinion, anyway.

I've watched 2 episodes so far.  There are so many shows to watch I'm having trouble keeping up with everything.

I watch Live PD and they crank those things out like crazy along with "This Old House" (I think I have 12 or 15 now to watch).  Ha!

I'm glad there are other's here who watch this show.  It makes it easier to keep up with it.

That Demon looks pretty much like all demons, I mean really, I don't know what I expect, but he looked ....ummm....??? Familiar?  Ha!

I was laying in bed, around 2:00AM, alone in this big house with lots of doors and windows, me and the cats and that thing popped out!  Whoa!

I'm not a person who gets afraid in the house, but it took a few minutes for me to compose myself.

When I go to bed for the night eventually, I shut the bedroom door to keep the cats out because they will jump on me and wake me up.

So, get this...they're outside of the door, jumping around, meowing....and I got off of the bed, slung open the door and told them to "SHUT-UP".  Ha!

They took off running, then, because of the adrenaline, I was up for about another 1/2 hour.  

I need to start watching this show earlier at night.  Ha!

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I would not be able to watch "Evil" anywhere near 2 AM!  One could argue that watching it at 10 PM, when it airs, is still too late.  

The very last (and also the only) "horror" show I ever watched that ended at 2:00 AM was a movie called Phantasm, and it started at 12:00 midnight on Channel 5, and was one I had never seen before.  So, as a teenager, I stayed up way past my usual bedtime and watched it sitting all alone in the living room. Big mistake!  That movie was quite scary and also bizarrely original with such an odd and disturbing story line, that I had a terrible time going to sleep after watching it.  I think that "Evil" is probably best watched in the morning or early afternoon, to be honest.

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born 

@Annabellethecat66 

I loved Phantasm.  Out of the 4 silly sequels, none of them beat the 1st one. 

My personal opinion.....

To me the Evil series is not scary.  Intriguing yes.  That being said, after the latest episode I did give my 2nd gen Echo Dot the side eye...

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I can understand how you must have felt, @Mz iMac   If I had one of those gadgets, I am sure I would have felt more than just a tad uncomfortable around it after hearing that devilish voice come out of that thing!

Respected Contributor

So, is anyone else still watching Evil?  I'll admit, I was too tired and too scared to finish watching Episode 4 last night, but I did see the whole thing this afternoon on DVR.  

It scared the literal daylights out of me with those VR goggles that allowed the entry of that horrid girl demon into their inappropriate VR game and likely into their lives as well, and I wasn't fond of the other VR demons/killers/spiders, either. Then, that boy with such evil desires to hurt and kill his family members.... What a sad and terrible ending, too.  It was a pretty intense episode.  Not the best to watch at night when one wants a restful sleep.   

Honored Contributor

I've watched all episodes. The last one was good and scary. Yes it was sad for that family, how it ended for them. I guess they must have felt there was no other way out but to do what they did to survive. 

If I were the mother of those four girls, I would take away those goggles for good.