Honored Contributor

EMMA THOMPSON AND HUGH GRANT, FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

image.jpg

8:00 p.m. Eastern, Friday TCM--  "Sense and Sensibility"  Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet, Harriet Walter, Gemma Jones, James Fleet, Elizageth Spriggs, Greg Wise, Robert Hardy, Imelda Staunton, Imogen Stubbs, Hugh Laurie

Very likely, anyone here who would be inclined to like/love the very romantic Jane Austen perfection that is "Sense and Sensiblity", has already seen this film version many times.  But am alerting it anyway, it is such a cheering classic!   One of my early favorites of Austen's novels too.

Each character is PERFECTLY cast, esp.  Thompson, Grant, Winslet and Rickman (I love Alan Rickman).  Is anyone surpised that Thompson represents the "sense" sister, "Elinor Dashwood", and Winslet is "Marianne",  the flighty "sensibility" half of the sister duo. 

Thompson and Grant are beautiful together as a couple tentatively in love, but thwarted due to circumstances.

The southern English locations are stunning.   An unforgettable film of such delicacy, and true to the spirit of the period of the late 18th century in which it is set.

Barton-Cottage-in-movie-Sense-and-Sensibility-with-Emma-Thompson.jpg

And they're following up with a film version of "Persuasion" at 10:30 p.m. Eastern, which I haven't seen--  anyone have an opinion on it?

Super Contributor

Re: EMMA THOMPSON AND HUGH GRANT, FRIDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Enjoy this movie !!!!   Col Brandon...swoon and you may need a box of tissues....enjoy it....the music and scenery are sublime !!!

I hope you love Mrs Jennings !  I have to read the book again and catch the movie !!!

You can also play "Hey that person was in Harry Potter !!!!"

Honored Contributor

I have these movies ready to tape on my DVR.  I have seen them before, a few times, each excellent acting, casting, settings spectacular.  Emma Thompson always a treat to watch, one of the best actresses  and Hugh Grant always captivating.  I am looking forward to seeing Persuasion especially because Ciaran Hinds is in it, another superb actor.  It is worth a watch.

The estates in these period pieces always stunning, exquisite and my taste.  I take it all in, every detail, and dream!!!!

Honored Contributor

I love this version, especially the late Rickman.  Thompson is still married to Greg Wise; I believe they met making this film.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

image.jpg

8:00 p.m. Eastern, Friday TCM--  "Sense and Sensibility"  Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet, Harriet Walter, Gemma Jones, James Fleet, Elizageth Spriggs, Greg Wise, Robert Hardy, Imelda Staunton, Imogen Stubbs, Hugh Laurie

Very likely, anyone here who would be inclined to like/love the very romantic Jane Austen perfection that is "Sense and Sensiblity", has already seen this film version many times.  But am alerting it anyway, it is such a cheering classic!   One of my early favorites of Austen's novels too.

Each character is PERFECTLY cast, esp.  Thompson, Grant, Winslet and Rickman (I love Alan Rickman).  Is anyone surpised that Thompson represents the "sense" sister, "Elinor Dashwood", and Winslet is "Marianne",  the flighty "sensibility" half of the sister duo. 

Thompson and Grant are beautiful together as a couple tentatively in love, but thwarted due to circumstances.

The southern English locations are stunning.   An unforgettable film of such delicacy, and true to the spirit of the period of the late 18th century in which it is set.

Barton-Cottage-in-movie-Sense-and-Sensibility-with-Emma-Thompson.jpg

And they're following up with a film version of "Persuasion" at 10:30 p.m. Eastern, which I haven't seen--  anyone have an opinion on it?

Love this movie!  It's in my all time favorite top 3!  Own it on DVD.  

Esteemed Contributor

Heart this version, all set to record.

Honored Contributor

I liked it, but Emma was way too old for the role I thought.  But I'd watch Hugh Grant read the phone book.  He plays the loveable dingbat so well.  

Honored Contributor

Good point, @Sooner ,  at first l felt it was a bit of a 'chronological' shame that Emma Thompson was older than Elinor in this.  But her conception of the role won me over,  especially after that tour de force scene near the end when all her defenses collapse and she breaks down crying great gallumphing sobs (in public, horrors),  upon hearing that Edward Farrars is free, after all.  

Esteemed Contributor

This is one of my all time favorite movies and Hugh Grant, OMG, what can I even say???

Honored Contributor

@Oznell - Thank you for posting this!  I'll set my DVR up right now.

I also love "Persuasion".  These two versions are so well done and true to the books.

I didn't like the remake of "Pride and Prejudice" that starred Keira Knightley at all.  The BBC 1995 mini-series is still the ultimate version of that one, IMO.

Another of my favorites is "Emma", with Kate Beckinsale, along with a stellar cast.