Respected Contributor

Re: ELVIS PRESLEY January 8, 1935 - August 16, 1977

[ Edited ]

I too am an Elvis fan. I still love him today.  My mom is a huge fan and passed it on to me! I had my children listen to Elvis songs so they would know his music. They were both 80's kids, and appreciate his music.

My favorite song  of his is The Wonder of You.  When my son was a little guy he'd sing it as The Wonderful You. 

I was at a hotel in Orlando when I heard the news. I was crying my eyes out with my Grandma and my little brother. 
I was 15.

Honored Contributor

I've been thinking about him all morning.  Wondering if I were the only one.

I vaguely remember that day.  I was a pharmacy tech way back then.  I came back from lunch and one of the pharmacists told me that he had died. We were all in shock.  I remember us not really believing it, initially, like it was something that just could not have happened.

I wish I had gotten to see him in concert.  When I think of him singing, one of the things I think of is the '69 Comeback Special.  I have a pic of him in that black leather outfit on the wall in my bdrm.   

Around 18 years ago I visited my father who had moved to N AL and he asked about places I wanted to see around there and I mentioned Graceland.  He took me and his wife and we did the entire tour.   (they had different tours that were just parts - I wanted to see all of it)

I'm so glad I got to go to Graceland.   The graves were there, off to the right where you are looking at the front of the house.  I remember taking a LOT of pics.  I should find those.  I haven't looked at them in a long time.

RIP

Honored Contributor

We visited Graceland on this day in 1997, place was packed in memory of his death. Graceland is defiinitely a tour worth taking. 

Honored Contributor

Even though Bruce Springsteen's music represents another generation, I love it.  This passage I found online reveals the mutual admiration that existed between Bruce and Elvis.  Glad I found this:

The admiration wasn’t entirely one-sided, as Presley reportedly knew of Springsteen and his music. As one of Presley’s childhood friends, George “GK” Klein, revealed about Elvis on SiriusXM’s Elvis Radio, “He liked Springsteen. … [Springsteen] came on the scene real quick and hard and heavy, and Elvis liked [him] because he was a rock ‘n’ roller.”

But despite his apparent acknowledgement, The Boss and The King never crossed paths in person. So, when Presley suddenly passed away in 1977, just months after Springsteen had seen him in concert, he was especially devastated. Springsteen said to his audience in a live show: “I remember later, when a friend of mine called to tell me that he’d died, it was so hard to understand how somebody whose music came in and took away so many people’s loneliness and gave so many people a reason and a sense of the possibilities of living could have, in the end, died so tragically.”

Even today, Springsteen shows his gratitude to the original rock and roller. Springsteen shared, “There have been a lot of tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one King.”

Bruce Springsteen’s unstoppable love for Elvis Presley

Esteemed Contributor

I loved Elvis and wish I had seen him in concert. So sad he died so young.

Right now I'm watching Blue Hawaii. Even though I have seen it countless times, always enjoy it.   I stayed at the Coco Palms hotel in Kauai where they filmed the wedding scene. It was his favorite hotel and he stayed there years later with Priscilla.   The cottage he stayed at was named Kings Cottage.  When we checked in we found a  large postcard in our room of the wedding scene.  I still have that card.

Honored Contributor

I consider myself fortunate to see Elvis twice live in concert. Tulsa 7/4/76; Norman, Ok 3/77.

DH and I share a love of Elvis, his music and now the new Elvis movie.  

I still have one ticket stub from the March concert along with an autographed scarf.  I never met him but I worked with a girlfriend of Elvis' security detail when in town. 

I will never forget him.

image.jpg

Respected Contributor

I was an exchange student in Switzerland when he died.  I was getting ready to come home the next week when the news broke on the radio.  By the time I got home, there was nothing about it in the newspapers!

They were talking about it on the radio yesterday and I had forgotten he was only 42 when he died.  He was very talented

Frequent Contributor

Lucky to see him in person in 1956 and 1972.  What a great voice, for all kinds of songs. He was a generous man, as it is written. Too bad someone couldn't step up and see how he was struggling in his last shows.  Gone too soon, and there will  never be an entertainer like him.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is sobering to think that the core group of Elvis's fans, those of us who have loved him from 1956 when "Heartbreak Hotel" was released and we were emerging teenagers, will very likely have dwindled to a fraction of its number when the 50th anniversary of his death rolls around.

Even now, so many who were in his thrall for decades have departed from this world.  It's something to think about.  That is why I thought honoring the 45th year of his passing was so important.  We must "seize moments" and put the spotlight on them when they come forward.

OKPrincess, what priceless memories and mementos you have of Elvis.  A king's ransom for them!  You are certainly one lucky lady. 

So glad you had the good fortune of seeing Elvis in person. 

[I have memories of singing "Don't Be Cruel," with all the imagined heartache and pain a middle schooler could muster, in our rec room, which was in the basement of our house.  Our dear neighbor, a widow for decades, could hear me when the windows were open during good weather.  She must have wondered what could cause a young girl to caterwaul like that.  LOL  Elvis caused my pain and heartache, Mrs. Rhodes.  It was Elvis.]