Respected Contributor

Does anyone have a  bad cabbage smelling drain problem. I am going nuts, the smell usually comes and goes when it rains buckets. No basement flooding , in fact we do not have a basement. I just want a natural problem solver. It hasn't happened for a while , but its back. HELP!!!

Trusted Contributor

I have no idea about that, but you could perhaps call a plumber and ask?

I am sure that several ladies here may have a remedy for your drain smell, wish I had something solid to tell you dear!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

About once a month I dump some baking soda and vinegar down the kitchen drain and the garbage disposal, let it sit for awhile, then run hot water down them.  Takes care of odors.

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou   I agree with  @alicedee  about baking soda and vinegar followed by hot or boiling water.  Baking soda and vinegar do not cost much so you can use it as often as you want also. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Drain Smell"

[ Edited ]

@BeccaLou ............I cant help wondering why this is posted in TV and Movies forum?  Thought it might be a new TV series.  lol

What drain is it?  All of your drains?, kitchen sink drain?  I do know that if any of your drains havent been used in a while all the water drains out and will leave a sewer odor from sewer gas backing up through the pipes.  I have to run water in our 2nd bathroom in the shower and sink every once in a while to prevent it.

Hope this helps.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Drain Smell"

[ Edited ]

@BeccaLou 

It could just be sewer gas.  Usually you have to run water in all the sinks that you do not use on a regular basis.  Bathrooms, kitchen drains, wash machines, flush toliets, showers, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

No basement?   You could still have a leak - broken pipe under concrete slab foundation.  I had one - no smell - bathroom tub drain hole.  A plumber can drop a camera down your pipe to determine what's going on.

Do you have garbage disposal in kitchen sink?  I never put raw meat or bones down mine.  They can get caught in grinding blades and smell.  Never put raw veggie skins down either.

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou 

If it is the kitchen sink and you have a garbage disposal there, the smell you describe could very well be from the underside of the rubber-like fingers leading into the blade area.

A few times a year I use a  Fuller Brush Co. product that takes care of the problem within 5 minutes.  It is a spray can with a clear plastic straw that you then spray into the disposal cavity and let sit for a few minutes.  A special type brush is then used to dislodge anything stuck to the underside of the fingers...kind of gross, but it does the trick in a few plunges.

The kit lasts a long time...Garbage Disposal Cleaning Kit.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

baking soda?

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

Does anyone have a  bad cabbage smelling drain problem. I am going nuts, the smell usually comes and goes when it rains buckets. No basement flooding , in fact we do not have a basement. I just want a natural problem solver. It hasn't happened for a while , but its back. HELP!!!

@BeccaLou   Which drain smells??

Kitchen?  Bathroom?

The suggestion for vinegar and baking soda I've used in my kitchen sink.

Disposals in kitchen sinks can sometime harbor bits of food so grind some ice cubes to remove.

Bathroom showers/tubs will begin to smell if the water has not been run in a while-the odor traps need to refill with water to trap odors.

If this is sudden and new, I would suggest calling a plumber for adive or do a live chat with Home Depot or Lowes.

I have also read that those sani-sticks do not always dissolve completely so I would stay away from them.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh